14 month old not sleeping through... help?! ...please?

(5 Posts)
thimbleina Wed 29-Aug-18 21:32:18

I know this is probably a much talked about subject but I'm at my wits end! My 14 month old DS is still waking at least twice for a bottle at night. He's not slept a full night in his life! My MIL suggested we give him water instead of milk and eventually he would stop waking for it but he just screams and cries until he gets his milk, I can't persevere because I have a 3 YO who is being woken up by this.
We always sleep with the fan on anyway (have done since before he was born) so that provides some white noise as others have suggested.
He's a fussy eater during the day but I don't know what else I can try to fill him up before bed that I haven't already tried?

I'm so so tired, I'm snapping at DS1 all day which cuts me like a knife, too tired to cook a proper meal at night when DH gets home from work so we practically live off sandwiches or something on toast, and too tired to even think about starting work again, I just don't have the brain power! And don't even start me on the housework!

Any suggestions more than welcome! 😴

OP’s posts: |
CherryPavlova Wed 29-Aug-18 21:47:14

Sleep train now or have disturbed nights for a long time to come. Others will disagree but I found sleep training effective and much better for everyone. As adults the only one who struggles to sleep is the indulged first born.
Stop all botttles. Let him scream he’ll stop eventually and get the message. Maybe ask your MIL to have the sibling for a few days whilst you grin and bear the screaming. Or get your husband to take him away for a few nights. In truth, my older ones coped with their younger ones being sleep trained. It took three nights on average. Shut door after putting him in the cot p, having had a good bedtime routine. Don’t go in until morning. It may take several hours of screaming first night - the evidence suggests it does no harm at all. Then it reduces until about day 4 when they sleep like babies.
Happier mother and father equates with happier child.

selly24 Wed 29-Aug-18 23:14:12

Agree you need to diet this for your sanity. But a few tweaks in your little one’sdaytime food, sleep, exercise pattern should help steer you in the right direction.

Q: what does your DS eat? His favourites?

Will he drink ( anything) from a cup?

What is your routine in the day?

selly24 Wed 29-Aug-18 23:14:47

do this - sorry NOT diet

NewBlueGoo Fri 31-Aug-18 12:04:00

No advice but lots of sympathy. Sleep training didn't work for us, though we tried again and again, and various different methods. We also tried substituting milk with water, but ds would just throw the sippy cup at me and scream! He randomly started sleeping through a couple of weeks ago, after he started walking (he's 17 months).

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in