Developmental delays

(7 Posts)
Otis1980 Sun 26-Aug-18 18:45:25

Hi all, my son is 6 month old and has had some issues since birth (delayed vision and had to have genetic testing which came back clear)...anyway I’ve been told he’s delayed slightly in terms of development. He’s trying to roll but hates tummy time and can’t sit up yet (just slumps forward). He also doesn’t press up on his arms when he’s on his tummy. I’m hoping he’ll get there but just wondered if anyone else had experience of these delays & if/when your child was able to sit/roll/crawl etc?

Many thanks x

OP’s posts: |
PaulMorel Mon 27-Aug-18 03:36:09

My son starts crawling when he is 8months old. I think it is all fine and nothing to worry about.

goldenbeagz Mon 27-Aug-18 07:11:55

My DD has development delay and is now 3. We noticed she didn't hold her head until20 weeks, sitting, weaning, etc all delayed. She didn't walk until 2 years 9 months. We have the support of PORTAGE which I cannot praise highly enough. They broke things down into manageable learning.
My lo is adopted so we have now decided to access adoption support. She has the GDD diagnosis. She is advanced in understanding, but delayed in all other areas but she is progressing.
We have always said she will be who she will be but our job aid her to reach her potential. She has just mastered toilet training in a week. There is hope.

Otis1980 Mon 27-Aug-18 10:14:23

Thanks all, goldenbeagz, has there ever been a diagnosis on why your child has GDD? I’m confident my little one will get there and he has been referred to portage so I’m feeling better about things...

OP’s posts: |
ElyElyOy Mon 27-Aug-18 14:32:30

My son was delayed slightly: sat at 11 months (sort of), didn’t roll both ways until around that time too (only occasionally rolling, not much of a roller!). He crawled slowly around 1 and started walking (waddling) earlier than expected at 14 months. He has only just started to stand though (literally today) at nearly 16 months.

This was with no portage - as he was a tiny bit prem they but every delay down to that. He is getting there, just a bit slower than other babies x

goldenbeagz Mon 27-Aug-18 18:36:48

There is no reason given. We can put it down to a chaotic and not particularly healthy pregnancy, 3 weeks prem, 3 weeks in NICU, Then 2 with a foster career before she was placed with us. She then had face to face contact for a few months so life had been pretty tough for her.

It could relate to birth parents disabilities but it's unlikely.

goldenbeagz Mon 27-Aug-18 18:36:53

There is no reason given. We can put it down to a chaotic and not particularly healthy pregnancy, 3 weeks prem, 3 weeks in NICU, Then 2 with a foster career before she was placed with us. She then had face to face contact for a few months so life had been pretty tough for her.

It could relate to birth parents disabilities but it's unlikely.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in