Talk

Advanced search

How to make him care

(4 Posts)
fluffytowel Tue 07-Aug-18 09:03:29

2.5 year old...doesn't give a care in the world about any punishment, row...anything!

Right now it's throwing things. He's broken 2 candle holders and a vase throwing anything he can get his hands on in sight - coasters, cushions, toys...I've been taking more and more things out the living room and I'm literally just going to be left with a couch and tv at this rate! Couldn't care less of naughty step, losing a toy, time out spot nothing. Take him and his brother to his room to play and he just throws everything and anything he can get his hands on at the window, light, brother...anything! Going to the park is humiliating cause any kid that comes near him he'll just throw the first thing in sight he can get his hands on...bark, sand, ball, rubbish lying and no distractions or trying to engage him in anything seems to work!

Anyone got any ideas for promoting understanding at this age?! This morning he threw his breakfast spoon at the tv...time out...came back in and grabbed his wipes I hadn't put away yet after clearing up the mess from throwing his spoon and threw them at the window and then ran and put himself on the naughty step?! 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

PaulMorel Tue 07-Aug-18 09:49:09

Maybe he is already immune to your punishments. You can also consult the experts about your concern.

Laserbird16 Sat 11-Aug-18 13:26:52

I read somewhere that children don't really have much impulse control until they are 3.5/4. Maybe that's why your punishments aren't working? I think you doing the right thing removing temptation where possible and have you tried offering him opportunities to throw? Like bean bags and balls etc and let him chuck those to his hearts content but can do limited damage. Let him throw if it is ok and remind him often 'we don't throw spoons, wipes, sand' until you are blue in the face. Hopefully he grows out of it or you end up with a legendary fast bowler!

rainingcatsanddog Sun 12-Aug-18 16:42:49

Does he go to a nursery /childcare? What's his behavior like there?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: