When did your child wipe their own bottom?

(7 Posts)
ButterflyBun Wed 25-Jul-18 18:40:45

My daughter is going to nursery in September and needs to be able to wipe her own bum by then. She's 3 and half.
She potty trained easily at 2 and half but I still wipe her bum as worried she might not be clean.
She's been in full time childcare since 6 months but is now going to a nursery /school. How did you get your little one to wipe their own bottom properly?! I've tried showing her but she doesn't seem able to reach. Thanks

OP’s posts: |
rainingcatsanddog Wed 25-Jul-18 22:08:41

How many hours are the sessions? At 3.5 she should be having a go but I would be hoping that she would only need to wee while at nursery.

ButterflyBun Wed 25-Jul-18 22:30:01

Only morning sessions then with my childminder. She's definitely starting to have a go but I'm just not confident she's getting it right!

OP’s posts: |
hotchips Sat 28-Jul-18 19:39:41

DS had to learn to wipe his bum to start school nursery just after 3. So been doing it since last summer. He tries really hard, but still isn't brilliant at it a year later. We just check his bum as soon as he gets home from school everyday. And if it's a bit dirty clean him up and put a bit of sudacrem on. It's not ideal, but assume most 3/4/5 year olds are the same!

Pansy0926 Sun 29-Jul-18 08:28:42

My 2yo wasn’t potty trained when he started nursery and the teachers have been doing the nappy changes and working along with us to get him potty trained (which he now is). Now he is three and due to go back in August. I assumed the nursery teachers would continue wiping his bum for him/watchfully encouraging him to do it himself?

Levithecat Sun 29-Jul-18 09:26:20

DS is 4 and hasn’t had help at nursery to wipe his bottom since being potty trained at around 2.5. BUT he cannot really do it - at home we wipe for him still and I imagine at nursery he either has a token attempt or just pulls his pants straight up! Maybe the nursery workers offer verbal support.

We’re starting to make a concerted effort in advance of school in September.

Pansy0926 Sun 29-Jul-18 09:39:44

I hadn’t even considered that they might not help him at nursery! Do you think I could say to them that he still needs help with it? Two weeks until nursery starts, so not much time to make sure he can do it himself, and he’s in all day so he’s bound to need a number 2.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in