Talk

Advanced search

Hitting

(8 Posts)
Nogodsnomasters Fri 13-Jul-18 21:01:48

My almost 4 year old (in Sept) has recently started hitting when angry/tantruming. He is on the waiting list to be assessed for autism but has very good language skills and this behaviour has only started in the last few weeks. The only change that coincides with this starting is nursery finishing for summer (which i obviously can't do anything about!) but I was wondering if change in routine was the cause.

Anyway, so far in the last few weeks he has headbutted me and his dad, punched me, slapped me and aggressively wiped snot on my hair during a tantrum. So far I've tried walking away, restraining him gently and then when he's calm explaining to him that we do not hit each other. He always apologises after and says he won't do it again but he does. Am I already doing the right thing and it will just take time to sink in/ is it a phase for this age group? Or is there something else I should be doing? I want mine and dh response to be quite consistent so don't want to go changing tactics every time this happens.

Thanks all x

OP’s posts: |
Nogodsnomasters Sat 14-Jul-18 11:18:42

Anyone?

Nogodsnomasters Sun 15-Jul-18 17:51:22

I guess no one else's kids have ever hit them then.

rainingcatsanddog Sun 15-Jul-18 19:00:56

The Special Needs forum is more likely to have people who have gone through similar.

Nogodsnomasters Sun 15-Jul-18 19:47:31

I didn't post there because we don't have a diagnosis yet. Was hoping it was more a phase than a symptom but maybe I'm deceiving myself. Thanks for reply.

starpatch Mon 16-Jul-18 19:47:16

hi there, no solutions but this must be very common. Still trying to stop DS 6 from hitting me. End of term is a trigger for us too

Nogodsnomasters Mon 16-Jul-18 22:28:46

Hi starpatch thank you for reply. Does your son have any SN or suspected SN even? So glad to hear that's it not just us going through this. What tactics have you tried so far?

starpatch Wed 18-Jul-18 16:54:13

I don't really know regarding special needs I worry about PDA type autism sometimes. I haven't really followed it up. I have got him on waiting list for psychology for behavioural advice. Tried time out a lot also star on calendar if no hurting day. Although in retrospect doing some kind of star chart I should have done smaller intervals so he had more chance of success.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in