Talk

Advanced search

Markers for higher intelligence?

(4 Posts)
Pinacollider Sun 08-Jul-18 19:42:59

Those who have particularly intelligent children, what were the early markers which made you realise you had an intelligent child on your hands? Also, any ideas on activities to develop/stimulate a bright 2.5yr old? My DD has quite good speech for her age. Unsure if she's particularly intelligent however she is becoming bored with her toys and I'd like to stimulate her mind a little more. She has a great memory. Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
FissionChips Mon 09-Jul-18 01:21:41

Talk, read, explore, experiment, create and research with the child. Can’t go wrong if you do that.

dontbesillyhenry Mon 09-Jul-18 22:29:22

Why are you trying to label your child? What's your obsession with your child being a genius? Some kids who are very forward at two are very average at 13

corythatwas Wed 11-Jul-18 13:10:51

My dd was a very early talker and seemed to have a very advanced understanding of reasoning and literature at an early age.

I have never really needed to know if she was intelligent or not: she enjoyed those things and they were fun so we did them.

Stimulating activities included talking to her, reading books to her, telling stories to her, listening to her when she told me stories, imaginative play, dressing up, drawing - just the same kind of thing that you'd do with any child, really. They have given her pleasure and stimulation that has lasted well into adulthood so that's good enough for me.

There is no reason why intelligence should make you grow bored with your toys: an intelligent child can create worlds out of wooden bricks or a pile of sand and some stones.

When dd said she was bored, what she actually meant was she wanted my company. She didn't need lots of specifically-designed-toys-for-the-highly-intelligent, she just needed me. And later on, friends to play with.

As children grow older, playing a musical instrument is a very good way of developing different areas of intelligence- and self-discipline too. Music is related to maths, as well as to the arts, and requires lateral thinking, particularly if you go into composing.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in