Talk

Advanced search

Five year old hates going to the toilet

(4 Posts)
Imis75 Tue 19-Jun-18 15:25:01

Hi everyone

I hope someone can help. My five year old daughter was fully potty trained by three. Wet herself only a handful of times early on.

Since starting school, she’s really avoiding going to the toilet. It’s nearing the end of reception and she simply refuses to go at school. She can hold her wee until 5pm quite happily.

Obviously I am not happy about this and I try to encourage her to go and also to drink
lots but it’s a challenge to get her to drink very much.

Lately she has extended this to not wanting to go at home. In the last few weeks me simply asking her to do a wee has led to monumental tantrum/meltdowns. I feel terrible. It is obviously upsetting to her and I have asked her to explain how I can help but she hasn’t come up with much.

Has anyone had this? Can anyone help? It’s really just wee’s. When she needs to poo, she just goes.

Any advice or tips very gratefully received!

OP’s posts: |
Imis75 Tue 19-Jun-18 18:19:04

Help and advice please!

OP’s posts: |
AClawley92 Tue 19-Jun-18 19:26:12

What does she say when you ask her why she doesn't wanna go for a wee?

BingTheButterflySlayer Sun 24-Jun-18 19:03:33

We had a bit of this last year. Eventually I got to the root of it. The toilets weren't very well-policed at their school (a long walk away from the Reception classrooms) and so they got round it by getting them to go in 2s and 3s... which led to much potential for mucking around. One kid had dropped their hair scrunchie in the loo and flushed and they'd basically scared themselves witless with the loo flushing and them thinking they'd blocked the toilet as a result... which led to months of DD1 avoiding the loo as she thought the flush would fill up and overflow away.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in