Talk

Advanced search

Disciplining a 2.5 year old

(6 Posts)
Alibongo37 Thu 14-Jun-18 11:22:24

My daughter is not a naughty 2 and a half year old but when she does do something I ask her not to do, she will often just giggle and carry on doing it. I've recently been trying different ways of speaking to her to discipline her but nothing works, not even shouting.
Any advice? And is this a phase??
Thanks

OP’s posts: |
JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 14-Jun-18 20:55:22

Well you’ve already realised that shouting doesn’t work. Instead try the No Cry Discipline Solutionsmile

Imapudding Thu 14-Jun-18 22:00:21

My DD is nearly 3 now and not particularly well behaved so maybe not the best advice! But what I try to do:
1 - explain why you don’t want her to do that / or do that, e.g. you’ll get hurt and we don’t want that, do we. Or don’t make a mess or we’ll have to tidy it all up! Pretty obvious I think they are starting to reason at that age and better for them to understand why than just ‘don’t do that’. If that doesn’t work..
2 - distraction, let’s go and do this instead
3 - bribery! DD hates having her toenails clipped. ‘Let’s snip your nails, I’ll be nice and gentle it won’t hurt I promise. Then when they are clipped we can paint them yellow!!’
4- if all else fails there’s the naughty step. The treat of it normally works now ‘brush your teath nicely or the naughty step’.

Imapudding Thu 14-Jun-18 22:01:34

Sorry didn’t write that very well but hopefully you get the drift.

Alibongo37 Fri 15-Jun-18 17:52:48

Thanks @Imapudding. Tried all of those. Found bribery works best!
Will continue with the other methods though!!

Alibongo37 Fri 15-Jun-18 17:53:25

Thanks @JiltedJohnsJulie you'd recommend then?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in