Talk

Advanced search

help...amber teething necklace for babies?-have you used one?

(11 Posts)
spongecake Thu 17-May-07 23:17:20

hi- advice needed- i have been given an amber teething necklace for my baby who is 9 weeks old. does it work? I have been advised to leave it on all the time, but surely that is a bit dangerous? its short, so he can't get it on his mouth. But what of he pulls it and it breaks and he swallows beads? the person who gave it to me considers themself a baby expert will be v hurt if i don;t use it, and is putting pressure on me and dp-we have already argued about it

emkana Thu 17-May-07 23:18:29

In Germany they are quite popular.

I think it's a bit bonkers tbh. Wouldn't let my baby wear it, would think it a safety risk.

RosaLuxembourg Thu 17-May-07 23:20:08

I don't quite understand how it works if he can't get it in his mouth. Isn't it to chew on? To be perfectly honest I wouldn't put a necklace on a baby - too many choking risks right there.

frogs Thu 17-May-07 23:22:56

My German cousin had one for her baby.

Bonkers, scientifically speaking. They're not meant for chewing -- I think the theory is that amber emits some kind of rays? vibes? dunno, that somehow alleviate teething pains. Hmm.

Flog it on ebay and buy him a nice hard teething ring. Or a bottle of gin for yourself.

RustyBear Thu 17-May-07 23:25:49

Apparently amber is a 'natural analgesic' & has a calming influence
I wear amber jewellery frequently, but I can't say I've noticed feeling calmer with it on.....
This ad suggests you don't leave it on while the baby is asleep or unattended

AddRyan Wed 24-Oct-12 09:36:36

When in contact with skin, amber get warm and emit succinic acid, a natural medicinal ingredient found in Baltic Amber resin. It is absorbed through the skin and into the bloodstream. Amber really alleviates teething pain, I used it for my baby and it worked really fine for us.
Although there are poeple who claim that amber teething necklaces cause chocking hazard, I personall ydon't think so. If the necklace is done safely, there is no danger. It just should be designed with special string that is knotted between each bead so that if the necklace should be broken, the beads will not scatter.

DialMforMummy Wed 24-Oct-12 10:04:52

I just posted about this on another thread and disagreed with AddRyan there too .
Yes, they are dangerous and pointless. Here is the link to a recent French study (with the abstract translated in English). I would let my baby wear one.

DialMforMummy Wed 24-Oct-12 10:05:26

I would not

Littlemissimpatient Wed 24-Oct-12 10:08:16

Not for me either OP

moleskin Wed 24-Oct-12 11:56:21

Here's a daily fail link some were being recalled http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2138280/Teething-necklaces-amber-choke-babies-break-parents-warned.html

Rhubarbgarden Wed 24-Oct-12 13:05:07

I wouldn't use one any more than I would believe a star sign or my mad auntie who thinks she can raise the dead

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now