Talk

Advanced search

Toothbrushing & 2 yr old

(10 Posts)
Newmums16 Thu 03-May-18 12:05:42

My DD will be 2 next month. We have been brushing her teeth since her first few teeth came in with no issues. All of a sudden it’s become a nightmare. I downloaded some toothbrushing songs which did help for a few weeks but now even with the songs on she clamps her mouth shut and it takes almost 15 minutes to brush her teeth! I’ve tried letting her do it herself and then try to finish it but she clamps shut. The other day I had to hold her down on the bed and tickle her and try and get the toothbrush in quick enough. Someone did recommend using a fruity toothpaste but do they still do the job?? Please help!

OP’s posts: |
Newmums16 Thu 03-May-18 17:26:04

Bump

Newmums16 Thu 03-May-18 20:59:39

Doesn’t anyone come on here anymore lol

Unexpectedbaby Thu 03-May-18 21:32:47

Sorry I have no advice but we have the same issues with my 18mo. Some days she is fine, others I have to prise her mouth open.

LoveProsecco Thu 03-May-18 21:46:38

Choose a new toothbrush together? Let your DC brush your teeth with your toothbrush so it seems like a game.

Funnyface1 Fri 04-May-18 11:11:31

My 20 month old suddenly wasn't keen on having hers done and I also have a song that worked great for her older brother!

What I've started doing is standing her on the toilet so we're almost face to face and giving her my toothbrush. She brushes mine for me and let's me brush hers at the same time cos she's pretty distracted. Worth a try?

BananaRumpus Fri 04-May-18 12:28:12

I had this with our daughter about 4 or 5 months ago just after she turned 2. I found this brilliant thread of ideas and just kept trying them out until one worked (she liked brushing away the animals who were hiding in her mouth behind her teeth!). Now she's 2.5 and she's much more cooperative and I find that I can just say no bedtime story until teeth are brushed and it works. So it does get better. She does still like to have her own toothbrush separate to the one we use for her.

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/behaviour_development/1764115-Seriously-HOW-do-you-get-your-toddlers-teeth-clean-enough?pg=2ℴ=

hilbobaggins Fri 04-May-18 16:42:26

When my DS was that age I ended up swapping his toothpaste for a flavourless one. That did the trick.

Newmums16 Fri 04-May-18 22:02:14

Thanks for all the advice and @BananaRumpus thanks for the thread - some great tips there. We went out today and let her pick her own toothbrush and she picked a strawberry toothpaste too so fingers crossed it starts getting better!

Benandhollysmum Fri 04-May-18 22:09:45

Yeah some kids take against minty toothpaste as it’s nippy in their mouth, I used to buy kids Colgate berry flavour toothpaste instead for my kids.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in