Talk

Advanced search

Help for new parents

(7 Posts)
Newparents18 Wed 02-May-18 03:00:20

Hello, I wonder if anyone can help me and my partner. We have a 7 and half week old baby boy who has trouble winding and is now very unsettled and seems to be unhappy with his feeds. From 2 week old he’s been on the aptamil 1st milk but he had a bout of colic so we decided to move him onto the aptamil comfort milk which seemed to help a little. We tried ever colic remedy that is out there and he still struggles to burp and he seems quite uncomfortable when he’s having his feeds and afterwards he looks in pain when he’s put on his back. He’s been taking anything from 3 to 5oz but when he came past the 6 week mark he really became unsettled and practically crying all day and only taking 2oz. Me and my fiancée thinks he’s got silent reflux which the doctor said he may so he prescribed gaviscon which didn’t help and it made him really constipated. So then we went back to the doctors and he prescribed similar amimentum..... which made him prodjectile vomit 🤢 so we put him back into his aptamil as we didn’t want our little one being sick. Can someone help us out..... we are thinking of putting him on the hipp anti reflux milk. We are at our witts end. PLEASE HELP THANKS

OP’s posts: |
JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 02-May-18 08:41:11

Im assuming the the GP prescribed similac alimentum because they suspect Cow’s Milk Protein Allergy(CMPA) and the proteins are partly broken down in the formula making them easier to digest and less likely to cause a reaction.

I would film him when you are feeding to show the GP, get an appointment today and ask for a completely dairy free formula to see if it is CMPA and insist on a referral to a Paediatrician.

Has LO been checked for tongue tie too?

Newparents18 Wed 02-May-18 10:15:24

They prescribed the similac allimentum for reflux not the CMPA but it should make him projectile vomit, however he was never sick on apatamil comfort. How would we know if he has cmpa or silent reflux? Also when he was born the hospital said he had a little bit of a tongue tie but nobody’s mentioned anything about that. Could that be the problem?

Thank you for replying

Newparents18 Wed 02-May-18 11:47:44

I’d like some people’s advice??

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 02-May-18 17:42:43

Reflux is usually a symptom rather than the cause of the trouble but the symptoms for reflux, CMPA and tongue tie can all be very similar.

Tongue tie definitely won’t be helping though. Have a read of this with your DP and see what you both think smile

Newparents18 Wed 02-May-18 17:55:25

Thankyou. We’ve just been prescribed aptamil pepti. We will see how we get on

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 02-May-18 18:56:06

On the Aptamil website it says “Aptamil Pepti - for babies with Cow’s Milk Allergy]] so it does look like your GP does suspect CMPA OP.

If they haven’t referred LO to a Paediatrician, I would definintely ask for a referral to a Paediatric Dietician. You will need support when Weaning it it’s CMPA and it’s a normal referral according to the NICE Guidelines.

How is he getting on with his new formula? Is he drinking anymore of it?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in