Talk

Advanced search

Thumb Sucking

(3 Posts)
VixCG Sun 18-Mar-18 20:22:07

Hi All,

I must apologise I’m very new to mumsnet! My LO will be 5 in November and has sucked his thumb since he was born. We did try dummies, but he didn’t like this as much as his thumb. He will be going to school this September and myself and my partner are trying to encourage him to stop thumb sucking now apart from bed times. He gets rewarded for good behaviour all the time he doesn’t do it, but I must admit we are finding it quite difficult.

Unfortunately he does tend to suck his thumb quite a lot, so much so that when he had a cold back a couple of months ago, it caused a small infection which he needed antibiotics for. Now the weather has turned cold again, it has caused the skin to slightly break on his thumb again and because he is sucking it, it seems like it is going to cause another infection.

Does anyone have any tips on how to stop thumb sucking or if this is just a pointless task?? Some advice or just friendly reassurance would be appreciated!

Thank you smile

OP’s posts: |
JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 19-Mar-18 20:48:02

Not sure on thumb sucking sorry but hopefully someone will be along soon.

Welcome to MN too smile

teabag20048 Tue 20-Mar-18 16:29:21

DD still sucks her thumb age 9 mainly when tired or ill. I wouldn't make too much fuss, its just a way of comforting himself and at school he will be so distracted by other things he probably won't even think about it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in