Dummy

(3 Posts)
FTMum2016 Thu 01-Mar-18 15:32:20

My 20 month old currently has a dummy. She isn’t reliant on it as in she doesn’t have it all day when playing etc she only has it to sleep and in the car. I want to get rid of it soon really as I don’t want her to start having it all the time. If I ask her to ‘give me the dummy’ she will happily pass it over and once she’s in a deep sleep she doesn’t have it. I need advice on getting rid of it, she’s my first child so any advice is appreciated!

OP’s posts: |
youlemming Thu 01-Mar-18 21:24:19

I've managed to get both my girls off the dummy around 2yrs old, like your DD they only had them for bed.

The oldest was just over 2 or maybe 2.5 and we used the dummy fairy, wrote a letter and decorated it asking her if she would give her dummies away to other babies that needed them.
She loved this and went along with it, we had the odd night over a couple of weeks were she would ask but we just reminded her of the lovely thing she did and that was accepted.

The younger one wouldn't have fallen for that story even though she was younger at around 2. There wasn't one in her cot one night so I put her to bed and said I would hope find one, I decided to see what she would do if I didn't go back and when I checked on her she was asleep and from then we just removed any we knew were around and she never asked for it again.

Oysterbabe Sun 04-Mar-18 08:12:44

We took DD's dummy off her at 18 months and it was surprisingly painless. We just did it cold turkey and it took about a day before she stopped asking for it. Give it a try, it might be easier than you expect.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in