Baby terrified of bath - please help!!

(14 Posts)
DrunkUnicorn Thu 01-Mar-18 09:52:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OP’s posts: |
user1495739076 Thu 01-Mar-18 12:01:48

Can you bring the fisher price tub downstairs and let him play with it
Maybe putting his favorite toys in it so he becomes desensitised to the tub
You could also try putting on nursery rhymes and putting him the tub with clothes on
Then try him again in a few days and leave the nursery rhymes going while he has a proper bath

starpatch Tue 06-Mar-18 21:35:31

I had this when mine was a bit older. it's best not to make them have a bath. just wash them down with a sponge and hair can be left for months. after a couple of months mine was asking to go back in the bath. just don't tell the health visitor!

Poshindevon Tue 06-Mar-18 23:46:56

I think this very common with children.
Try having a shower together.
Fill the bath tub with water and her favourite toys and she can play outside the tub getting used to the water again.
Good luck

Blondemother Wed 07-Mar-18 15:28:40

Mine went through a phase like this I could think of no reason for!
New toys, lots of songs and a few shared baths in the big tub helped a bit, hope it passes soon for you!

Bubbinsmakesthree Wed 07-Mar-18 15:54:48

It's common for babies to have a water phobia phase. It'll pass! We eased back into it slowly (sponge wash in an empty bath, then gradually started adding some water back in). I think it was a couple of months for him to regain his enthusiasm.

DrunkUnicorn Thu 08-Mar-18 13:44:51

WombOfOnesOwn Fri 09-Mar-18 11:35:47

Yes, we stopped doing full baths and did wipes/sponge baths for a full two months or so when my son did this. As it turned out, his terror stemmed from the nudity ... somehow I think he never noticed he was naked for a long time, and then one day realized how he wasn't wearing anything in the bath and it made him upset! We noticed the nudity, not the water, was a factor because when we took him in a full rashguard swimsuit to the beach in Florida, he had a great time and was never sad about the water.

When we re-introduced him to water bathing, we did it in pieces. First while in the rashguard suit he'd worn at the beach, then in just a swim diaper, then naked. He immediately did a total 180, has loved baths ever since.

DrunkUnicorn Fri 09-Mar-18 15:58:34

WombOfOnesOwn Fri 09-Mar-18 16:09:32

He was around 9 months old. He'd honestly never been amazing about bathtime before then, but he became a terrifying slippery beast suddenly, and he was normally so sweet and good-natured!

We've tried to abide by a philosophy since the beginning with him that if he's upset, it's for a reason, and we should aim to find it out.

At age 14 months we had the same thing happen with toothbrushing. Suddenly he would scream in frustration and anger about his toothbrush and run away. We decided that years of later dental habits were worth more than having daily brushing right then (especially since kids that age are mostly having "practice" brushing), and didn't brush his teeth for about a month while we planned out our angles of reapproach.

When it came time to re-introduce, we did all the things at once that we'd never used before. We made it part of a routine with a book that included it as a bedtime step, we added a toothbrushing song, we changed his toothpaste, and we changed his toothbrush. The idea was, make it a whole different experience, not like the one he was dreading. It worked perfectly and he ASKS to brush his teeth now, like some sort of angel child.

DrunkUnicorn Fri 09-Mar-18 17:37:06

doublew Sun 11-Mar-18 10:07:17

Could you try filling up your main bath and getting in together?

DrunkUnicorn Sun 11-Mar-18 12:06:32

DrunkUnicorn Sun 11-Mar-18 15:08:11

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in