Talk

Advanced search

Help please !

(9 Posts)
Motherwell91 Thu 15-Feb-18 21:08:32

Struggling to get baby to eat meat
.. she is 9 months old and really struggles to chew it and sort of just rolls it around in her mouth? Get frustrated and cries.. fine with veg but I have literally blended all different types of meat to oblivion but no prevail.... so any tips or useful recipes

OP’s posts: |
jaimelannistersgoldenhand Thu 15-Feb-18 21:15:03

What cuts are you trying and how are you cooking it? Mince will be the easiest (eg spaghetti Bologese ). If it's for protein have you tried fish? Salmon is soft and easy to eat. Is the meat just fried/grilled? Have you tried slow cooking it? Eg beef casserole
If I recall correctly, at that age my kids would suck steak rather than chew and eat properly.

Motherwell91 Thu 15-Feb-18 21:18:06

Haven't tried fish. I've done mince and that got the worst reaction. And I tried ripping chicken into strips as finger food.

I'm trying hard not to use baby food as I have one fussy eater already so trying to get small one to eat the same as the rest of us

Dottydoodoo Thu 15-Feb-18 21:37:16

I used to make my DS a tomatoey chicken thing which had plenty of chicken in it but it was almost a soup consistency. I wish the fussy fusspot would eat it now!!

I used the little chicken fillets that you can buy and chopped one up into tiny pieces, probably about thumbnail size and fry in a pan until cooked. The sauce was just a tomato and vegetable sauce, mix the sauce with the chicken pieces and then put it all in a blender and whizz it all up. It really was like a thick soup and DS loved it, he was funny with some textures at that age too but he seemed to manage my chicken concoction ok.

Tuna and sweetcorn fish cakes were another big hit too. I think Annabel Karmel has a recipe. Another thing I wish he would eat now!

InDubiousBattle Thu 15-Feb-18 21:41:15

My dc are 2.6 and 4 and don't really eat meat at all. Might get the odd mouthful of bolognaise down them but not much. They both much prefer fish and fish pie was a big hit when they were little (toddlers now so have become very picky).

Dottydoodoo Thu 15-Feb-18 22:16:52

Ooh yes I forgot fish pie confused how could I forget fish pie my 22 month old DS demolishes it!

Motherwell91 Thu 15-Feb-18 23:03:55

Maybe fish is the way to go.... I guess no matter what I do I can't guarantee not to have another picky eater.
Should I worry that she isn't taking much meat... I'm guessing it would mean she could be lacking protein? Or am I over analysing ?

InDubiousBattle Fri 16-Feb-18 08:42:41

Does she eat cheese? Will she have hummus? Tuna and sweetcorn with mayonnaise?

boo1507 Fri 16-Feb-18 09:13:26

With my little boy, we had a similar thing - he wouldn't eat anything the slightest bit chewy. Shredded meat in the slow booker, beef and lamb stews, fish and quorn alternatives worked for us to varying degrees. One day he just grew out of it and now he loves meat.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in