Talk

Advanced search

2 year old can't pronounce certain sounds

(8 Posts)
BeHappyMummy Tue 13-Feb-18 18:39:43

My DD turned 2 end of December.

She has trouble saying certain sounds like- 'p' and 'b' mostly. Also 'l', 'st' and 'th', more that I can't think of.

She says;
please as dease
Bum as dum
Fish as dish
Snake as nake

She has no problem with her t's and loves saying titty. She can also say 'ch' sounds and easily says cheese.

I'm actually quite worried and thinking of getting in contact with a speech therapist. I hear other children her age using sounds she can't and try to get her to look at my mouth when I pronounce these sounds to help her, but it's not going through.

I've no idea what to do, just need some advice.

cedoren Tue 13-Feb-18 18:58:10

As far as I know, that's totally normal. Hopefully a speech therapist could reassure you, but I don't think they are expected to have many sounds correctly by 2 - there's a chart somewhere of expected sounds by age.

Foggymist Wed 14-Feb-18 02:27:14

She's 2 years old, of course she can't say everything properly, give her a break!

AmberTopaz Wed 14-Feb-18 08:31:48

At her age this sounds completely normal. Don’t worry about correcting her - just talk to her and read to her and she’ll soon get the hang of the different sounds.

familylifeiseverything Wed 14-Feb-18 13:59:06

It's totally normal. They don't say certain letter and sounds until the get older. Nothing to worry about.

My 2 year old says tickle instead of pickle (the dog) and tippys instead of slippers. As long as you reply with the correct way of saying it they will pick it up.

My 3.5 year old says abtab instead of tablet 😂

lyssie29 Thu 15-Feb-18 08:54:34

My dd was 2 in october and has only just started saying more words and none clearly except mama mammy hi and bye. She has an appointment for speech and language but i think because shes had a dummy its delayed her speech a bit and ive been told its very normal. It worried me because i have a 4 year old who was very early in her speech and by this age i could actually sit and have a clear conversation with her but all kids are different. I wouldnt worry she is still saying the words and its very normal.

soundsystem Fri 16-Feb-18 20:59:49

All sounds normal for a 2-year-old.

You might find the progress trackers on here useful for what's within the range of "normal" at different ages:

www.talkingpoint.org.uk/progress-checker

youlemming Fri 16-Feb-18 23:24:36

DD1 had goid speech at 2 except for a couple of sounds that she just couldn't get the gang of, f being one of them and she replaced it with an s.
This generally wasn't a problem as you could get what it was she was saying but it did make for some interesting occasions, one of them being her shouting very loudly about the flags at a rugby game.

She's now 8 and I would say by 3 she was much clearer with her sounds, luckily.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: