Talk

Advanced search

7,5months no sitting up, rolling over or crawling

(8 Posts)
Lovelyivy Sat 10-Feb-18 19:12:56

Hello everyone, just looking v for advice and your stories. My baby is 7,5 months and doesn't sit up, crawl or roll over. He can roll half way but doesn't seem interested in rolling over - he is really cheeky and when I want to help he laughs and push him self back so he won't roll-same with sitting ... but I'm worried about his development. He is extremely happy content baby he is just not interest in moving around. He just likes to lie down on his back playing with toys on his baby playmat. He doesn't like being on his front or sitting. We spend half days on the playmat and I'm trying to put him on tummy as often as I can. Should I go see GP? Should I wait ?

irishmissie Sat 10-Feb-18 19:35:10

Firstly don't worry.... All children are different and will do things at their own time. They have a chair his you can buy that will encourage them to sit unaided... My son didn't sit up until he was 14 months and didn't walk until he was 18mths, one day he just got up and walked. Your little man will do it when he is ready 🙏

Ityoj Sat 10-Feb-18 23:53:47

Mothers know best, follow your instinct. No harm in having a check up.

GoBigOrange Sun 11-Feb-18 03:36:54

My son was never really a roller (he could do it, but generally wouldn't) and he hated being on his tummy. He liked being sat up by the time he was 6 months (and could sit steadily by 7 months) but wasn't able to actually get himself from lying to sitting until he was about 10 months old. He then crawled at around 11 months, started pulling up and cruising about a week later, and started walking on his first birthday. He's 2.5 years now and meets or exceeds all his current milestones.

Right now your son wouldn't actually be deemed to be particularly 'behind' in his development. Yes, at this point he should ideally be able to roll and sit, but there are plenty of babies who don't do those things at 7.5 months, but do turn out just fine. And if he was crawling at 7.5 months then he would actually be a wee bit ahead of the majority, as 8 months is the average age to start crawling.

I think it is actually 9 months which is the point at which doctors will become quite concerned about a total lack of rolling or ability to sit unsupported. But if you really feel something is possibly amiss with his development, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with speaking to an HV or GP sooner than that. Better to be reassured (or access help if it turns out it is needed) than sit around worrying.

Rebeccaslicker Sun 11-Feb-18 19:39:40

Is he a big/heavy baby, Op? That can make them a bit slower as they have more weight to support.

I wouldn't worry just yet either, but if you are, why not book an appointment? Chances are he'll decide to roll or sit that morning just because babies are like that!

JumpingFrogs Sun 11-Feb-18 23:28:19

My firstborn was a very happy, smiley baby but showed no interest in sitting up till 9 months. She crawled at 13 months and walked at 17 months! She was fine and in some ways it was lovely to keep her at that baby stage for a little longer. My friend had a daughter the same age who crawled at 5 months. Try not to compare, just enjoy!

youlemming Mon 12-Feb-18 22:40:16

DD1 wasn't interested in moving about at first, I can't remember when she rolled but think she was sitting around 8m, crawled at 11m, then a few weeks later as she turned 1 started walking. We thought it would all be a lot later based on the slow start.

DD2 rolled at 12 wks, was sitting at 5-6 months, never really crawled did this old one knee one foot shuffle thing around 9m but then didn't walk until 16m.

I'm sure in his own time your LO will decide he's ready.

Mummy247D Wed 14-Feb-18 19:42:39

Please try not to worry, although I know it’s easier said than done. My first who was born full term who is now 20 months was slower in his physical development than his now 6 month old brother. He sat up at 6 months which wasn’t too bad but didn’t roll or crawl until he was around 11 months and walked at about 14 months. His 6 month old brother who was 6 weeks prem can sit up, roll both ways and I don’t think it will be too long until he crawls! My point is every baby really is different. On paper you’d think my full term baby would have been quicker in these areas but so far that’s not the case. They’ll do it only when they’re ready. I wish I didn’t spend so much time worrying about that stuff when my oldest was younger, he runs everywhere now!! All the best to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now