Talk

Advanced search

petite babies

(7 Posts)
Boe2017 Thu 08-Feb-18 15:41:54

Any other mothers of petite babies out there?
Up until this week i was fairly happy with the the fact that i have a happy healthy 5.5mth old baby, she is growing well and steadily gaining weight ...shes just petite.
Yesterday was our 4th session at playgroup in the village we have just moved to. The other mums obviously feel comfortable with me now and thought it appropriate to bring up my babies size yesterday..."oh isnt she small" and "when was she last weighed?" and "did you know about the walk in clinic at the doctors with the health visitor, maybe she can help you" and "was she premature?" and "oh her winter onsie is still size 2-4mths"
Despite me protesting, shes fine, shes happy and growing at a rate i am happy with ...Ive basically spent this afternoon worrying that there is something with my baby, that im doing something wrong, weighing her and plotting her growth chart, basically in tears feeling like im failing her as a parent.

Is anyone else in the same boat as me?

Monday2018 Thu 08-Feb-18 17:00:05

Its difficult to say as all babies developed in their own time. My dd was petite and growing on the bottom centile of her weight chart, so we where referred to a consultant. After all the worry we were told she is absolutely fine and that because we were small framed that our baby was small like us. They told us that if she was too small then the top of her legs would be thin, but that wasn't the case.

Although it wouldn't hurt to pop along to the weighing clinic for reassurance.

jaimelannistersgoldenhand Thu 08-Feb-18 18:57:23

Are you petite? Is her Dad?
If so, I'd expect her to be on a lower curve than a baby born to parents who were 6 foot tall for example.

People come in all shapes and sizes. If she's maintaining her growth curve, filling nappies and meeting age appropriate milestones (in her case getting stronger and steadier in preparation for being mobile) then she's doing great.

BentleyBelly Fri 09-Feb-18 16:06:10

I had a petite baby who is now a petite 4 year old. She is head and shoulders shorter than her classmates at school but perfectly healthy. Please don't worry, we all come in different shapes and sizes. We still get her in free to a lot of places on days out as she looks younger....every cloud!!

Charmander123 Fri 09-Feb-18 21:47:48

I have this exact same issue my baby was a week late but was only 5 lbs! She has gained weight gradually and well but is always on the smaller side of the spectrum! Constantly having other mums worry or comment about it! X

choseausername1 Fri 09-Feb-18 23:35:57

My babies were all premature (37 weeks but they then thought theyd guessed the gestation wrong and was 35 weeks: over 5lbs 2oz); second baby 4lbs 10oz two months early; third baby was over 2lb at 28 weeks.

Massive babies for their gestation.

They are the most petite children you could ever see. It would seem that that got their mother's intellect and their father's metabolism. They eat everything in sight and always have,

Don't worry too much. Remember that the curve graphs are designed from every single child to create an average without regard to individual factors. Have you ever met a perfectly 'average' human?

Being a mum of prems means I had to realise that my child was not going to be the same as the others at the same stage. If any mother is being truthful... their kids' arent either.

Dont worry about it. Your baby will be absolutely grand.

Huggybear16 Sat 10-Feb-18 01:02:05

Yes, me! My little boy has always been....well, little. He was on the bottom line for height and weight at birth and still is. He is 15 months old and is happy and gorgeous and meeting all his milestones. He's just a shorty!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: