Talk

Advanced search

14 week old son HATES the bath... suggestions and experiences please!

(6 Posts)
mummabubs Mon 05-Feb-18 21:07:29

DS is just over 14 weeks old and absolutely loathes the bath- it's got to the stage where he cries and screams before he feet have even touched the water and he instantly becomes inconsolable and screams until he's hoarse with tears running down both cheeks.

We had 2 good baths at Christmas when we stayed at my parents' and for the first time we tried bathing him on me whilst I was in the bath, which he tolerated the first time and even almost smiled the second time. However since then it's gone downhill and he hates it more than ever. Under the advice of the health visitor we've tried different depths and temperatures, on me or in his own baby bath and so far he hates the lot. It makes bath time twice a week a really stressful and upsetting time (although we do our utmost to go into it with a smiling face and happy voices as I know he'll pick up on us being tense or anxious).

I was just wondering if anyone else's child was like this and whether they just naturally grew to like the bath or what you did to help them get used to it? A friend has suggested taking him swimming but I'm not sure if this will be a doomed trip and he'll hate that even more???

Any experience or suggestions appreciated, thank you smile

Witchend Tue 06-Feb-18 13:21:31

What temperature is it?
We found with dd1 that she much preferred it warmer than the recommended temperature. Only then did she enjoy it.

NeuroticFox1 Tue 06-Feb-18 14:36:09

Our DD was very similar and we started a fresh and took slow steps to build her confidence. We did baths with us, which I know you've tried . I wonder if you could play with him with a bath toy you initially plsy with out of the bath till he gets to know it and then take it in the bath or bath a toy he loves in with him to help him feel safe. Some sensory play with water drops might help - just feeling water on his hands and toes out of the bath. Also I wonder if temperature/ lighting of the room made a difference? I'm sure he will love them eventually , good luck I know how stressful it is when they hate something that has to be done! X

mummabubs Tue 06-Feb-18 21:26:16

Thanks both. @Witchend we've tried all sorts of temperatures and definitely warmer than the recommended, which is what the health visitor advised us to do :/

@NeuroticFox1 The toy idea might work, he's not really interested in any specific toys yet but maybe if we use other transitional objects and like you say, if we maybe put water on his hands while he's clothed it might start to help? He does get brought in when I'm in the bath by my husband and he's all smiles as long as he's watching me in the bath and not being stripped off to go in it! 🙈

Thanks again, I just really hope we make headway on it soon!

mummabubs Wed 07-Feb-18 19:25:28

@NeuroticFox1 Just wanted to say thank you again- have to confess I'm a psychologist so really feel I should have thought of doing some desensitisation/graded exposure stuff with him but when it's your child it's hard to think objectively isn't it!

This afternoon I filled his baby bath and put lots of bath toys in it, started on the nursery floor with him just looking at the water and then dangling a foot into it/ running water over his feet and ended up with him stood in the bath, water up to his knees and he was fine- just obsessed with the toys! Will definitely keep doing this and hopefully we can give him a positive relationship with baths in the end! 🙈

NeuroticFox1 Wed 07-Feb-18 20:03:18

Fab I'm so pleased! X

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: