Talk

Advanced search

Kids can be mean but is my DS response normal??

(4 Posts)
practisingagain Wed 31-Jan-18 13:03:34

Long story short my 8yr old DS struggles to make friends and the social side of school. That's has its own challenges sometimes he's up sometimes he's down. This week down.... however his response this week has worried me. We are mixed race so he has very curly hair that grows out rather than down if you see what I mean. I prefer it a bit bigger but he prefers it a bit shorter so it's about 1/4 inch on the sides and 1inch on top.
Post a tough day at school he came home and half way through the evening went into the bathroom and hacked chunks out of his hair making him look balding at the front. He didn't realise how bad it was and we are worried we now have to shave his head. Not sure this going to help him!
Anyway would you worry about it? It's not like a playing with scissors thing it's a response to distress thing that worries me

OP’s posts: |
AmberTopaz Wed 31-Jan-18 14:36:58

Do you know what the ‘mean’ kids said to him that made him do this? For example, did someone take the piss out of his hair? Is he in a class of mainly white kids and maybe wanted to look more like the others? Or was the ‘tough day at school’ unrelated to his appearance, but this response was a way of dealing with his feelings of anger / hurt / frustration?

Either way, this would worry me. I’d go in and have a chat to his teacher. Does he/she realise how much he is struggling?

practisingagain Wed 31-Jan-18 20:23:19

Teacher says he does struggle a bit socially but she is supportive. He is in a class of mainly white kids and they have commented on his hair and wanted to touch it before I thought that would just wear out as a thing

practisingagain Wed 31-Jan-18 20:24:05

I think he was rejected for play at school and this was part of his reaction tonne like them

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in