Talk

Advanced search

8 yr old hygiene

(4 Posts)
MrsY Sun 14-Jan-18 19:03:51

My 8 yr old daughter is resisting bath time, washing hands and get knickers are often stained.
Her dad and I both talk to her about it often and it hasn't made a difference. Because she isn't always clean, she itches her bum a lot. She's had works about 4/5 times in the last 2 years.

Any experience or advice?

OP’s posts: |
Wetwashing00 Sun 14-Jan-18 22:51:17

I’m still having this issue with my almost 10 yr old.
She told me she doesn’t like wiping her bum as it’s ‘disgusting’ no amount of explaining or talking has worked so far.
We have all started using the wet toilet wipes for ease, and her knickers are less stained now.
Every time she has an ailment that we can link to ‘not washing’ we will explain that her lack of hygiene is the reason why.
We have had to deal with threadworms/ringworm/ itchy bum, conjunctivitis and impetigo in the past.
She liked picking out a fun scented hand wash (the bubblegum carex) and would use that for a while.
She will respond to a reward chart sometimes, and I will always make her winning reward ‘washing related’
Lush bath bombs, her own fun smelling shower gel, new underwear.

MrsY Mon 15-Jan-18 09:10:09

Thanks. I let her choose the handwash, but she won't use wet wipes. I might try a reward chart, but the majority of this is at school which is hard to deal with.

OP’s posts: |
EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Mon 15-Jan-18 16:29:11

You can deal with the dirty pants by just taking them away so sheonly has clean. Can second Lush bathbombs.

There’s a thread on the Preteens section at the moment about hygiene or rather lack of.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in