Talk

Advanced search

One year old help!

(22 Posts)
duckyisback Sun 14-Jan-18 17:04:00

I have a 13 mo dd, she slept through from around 8 weeks, when she got to around 5 mo she stopped and her sleep has been gradually getting worse.

She currently will not go to sleep before 11.30pm, will wake 3ish times in the night and up around 6.30. She very very rarely naps. She will not settle in her cot at all. To get her to sleep at night takes about an hour of holding and rocking, then she goes in my bed.

During the day if I put her down, she is hysterical. She wants to be held 24/7 but won't let anyone else pick her up.

I feel like I'm going insane shock

I have a 3 year old ds who isn't getting much attention as I'm doing everything one handed.

She is under a consultant for other problems but doesn't have her next appointment until the end of jan as all the clinics were cancelled. Went to gps last week and they thought maybe it was wind keeping her up so prescribed gaviscon. The first couple of nights she went to bed around 7 and only woke once or twice but the last two night have been awful.

Anyone had anything similar?

OP’s posts: |
EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sun 14-Jan-18 17:22:01

You have my complete sympathy, that must be so hard. If the GP thinks it could be wind, does she have a lot of wind?

duckyisback Sun 14-Jan-18 17:25:04

She does. Last night was heartbreaking, she was screaming for hours on end and looked so uncomfortable but was so tired, I was trying every move on her and eventually she was getting some out

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sun 14-Jan-18 17:38:14

Poor girl, that must be exhausting for all of you. Has anyone discussed the possibility of Cow’s Milk Protein Allergy with you?

duckyisback Sun 14-Jan-18 17:44:11

My son had that, originally when her sleep went bad caused by wind etc, she was referred to a consultant who thought she had picked up an infection in her gut, which had cleared but left it irritated, so he put her on lactose free milk and I cut dairy out. She did seem better for around 2 weeks but then went bad again sad I was told to re introduce dairy after 6 weeks, which I tried but it resulted in projectile vomiting sad my son is 3 and still can't have milk/cheese/butter though

Jaffacakesinmypocket Mon 15-Jan-18 18:03:31

I'm sure this is obvious to you but sounds like chronic over tiredness, her sleep patterns sound similar to my DD, she too slept well from 8w to about 5m when the regression hit badly.
Will she nap in the car or pram? I find getting naps any way possible helps with DD even I have to rock her to sleep and let her nap on me, sleep begets sleep. Another thing that helped us was switching to goat milk dairy, we also had problems with constipation and this made a huge difference.

duckyisback Mon 15-Jan-18 18:13:43

I think that is probably a huge factor jaffa, but she literally will not nap at all. I've tried pushchair, car, holding but she just screams and hits out for ages!

duckyisback Mon 15-Jan-18 18:15:45

Spoke to dr today who gave something beginning with r for reflux and wind, she's trying to move her consultant appointment nearer and a referral to dietitian.

I do think if she napped she would be so much better. Hopefully when we move, we're stuck in a one bed small flat at the moment and with ds it's never very quiet blush

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Mon 15-Jan-18 18:20:22

Was it Rantidine? So glad they are bringing the appointment forward for you. Is she on a dairy free diet now? Which milk does she have?

duckyisback Mon 15-Jan-18 18:53:53

Yes that's the one! The dr is contacting the consultant and trying to get her seen as an emergency. She is on a dairy free diet and has alpro soya 1-3

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Mon 15-Jan-18 19:23:40

Sorry if I’m telling you stuff that you already know but half of all people who have CMPA also have an allergy to Soya as the protein molecules are so similar. Do you think it might be worth trailing a DF and SF diet for a few weeks?

Jaffacakesinmypocket Mon 15-Jan-18 20:11:09

Poor thing, and you! I know from experience how awful sleep deprivation is. I hope you see an improvement from the ranitidine

duckyisback Mon 15-Jan-18 20:35:25

Thanks Jaffa!

Everyone, It could be that! She does have the soya milk just before bed and she's so bad during the night! I didn't know the soya allergy was so common sad

Slight improvement tonight though, for the first time in a long time she went to sleep around 7 and hasn't been up since!!! shock even when ds fell out of bed and started having a fit, the night is still young though!

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Mon 15-Jan-18 20:41:18

You know it’s bad when 90 mins Sleep is something to celebrate.

Yes, I think its about half, I’ve seen people quote 60% though, so it could be more.

Could you swap her to an alternative milk and stop the other Soya for a bit to see if there’s an improvement?

duckyisback Mon 15-Jan-18 22:19:56

Do you know what the best alternative is? I went vegan for (a very short) while and had oat milk but was worried about the sugars in it.

She's still asleep!!!! shockshock I'm in complete shock and really should be off to bed but I'm really enjoying time without a little person attached to me blush

DoItAgainBob Tue 16-Jan-18 03:20:49

DS is allergy to dairy and soya, in fact soya is far worse than dairy for him. It's very common as the proteins are similar. Soya is also one of the major allergens.

He is also allergic to eggs but I didn't realise until he was two years old but had pretty much the same experience sleep wise to you. It was utter hell but he slept much better once I cut all three out. I breastfed until he wa last 2.5 so it was a challenge but fine.

He likes almond milk the best. It's quite sweet but tbh that's the least of his problems! He's 6 now and it's his main source of calcium.

duckyisback Tue 16-Jan-18 07:55:49

Is he unlikely to grow out of them doit?

It must be so hard because I found just cutting dairy out difficult! I do think there may be at least a slight allergy to something else. I did give her scrambled egg the other day and her nappies were awful after that so I'm staying away from egg too.

She did sleep all night with no wake ups blush it was crazy! She was in my bed and is still tired this morning but that was crazy! We were woken at 5.45 by the people upstairs making a racket.

Linnie444 Tue 16-Jan-18 12:55:48

My daughter Tallauah, is also allergic to dairy. It has gradually gotten better as she has grown up. ( she is now 7) I admit I found it hard at first to re-adjust to her dietary requirements. I gave her fruit pots instead of yogurt when she was little which always went down well!! There are also other alternatives to milk such as rice milk or almond or coconut milk. I also use sunflower margerine in home baking. Hope this helps x always nice to have a chat with people in the same boat as you. Best wishes Linnie 😘

DoItAgainBob Tue 16-Jan-18 18:33:07

He's pretty much grown out the egg allergy. He has alway been fine with baked eggs but I limit boiled eggs, omelettes to twice a week as it effects his bowels.

The others are still the same unfortunately. We attempt the milk ladder now and then but rarely get past the first stage.

Keep a good diary if you can manage it. DS would get symptoms anywhere up to four days after exposure but sleep was always the first thing to go.

duckyisback Tue 16-Jan-18 23:09:59

It's mad how much you forget. My son can only not have milk/cheese/butter but can have it in baked things. He still has an awful reaction to milk.

She's been asleep again since 6.30!!! Night two on her new meds. Throughout the day she is still having loads of bad nappies so there is definitely something wrong still. I forgot to get different milk today confused

I had a call from the consultant secretary, she was passing the information to the consultant but as she is sleeping on the new meds (even though it was one night) she doesn't think anyone will see her until her appt the end of jan.

Although the last two days she has had a nap in the day as ds has been at pre school and that seems to be the only time she would nap. She only slept today for about 30 mins, but I managed to get another 30 mins out of her by holding her when she woke.

cakeandteajustforme Fri 19-Jan-18 21:19:58

It can take weeks for the allergens to get out of their system so it won't be immediate.

I think oatly barista is the highest fat content non-soy/dairy drink. I use that for my DS cereal.

cakeandteajustforme Fri 19-Jan-18 21:21:25

And ps good luck!

If/when ranitidine stops working, omoeprazole (sp?) is amazing stuff.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in