Talk

Advanced search

What age to try to teach numbers and alphabet to toddler?

(9 Posts)
babygirl2016 Tue 09-Jan-18 15:57:59

My lo is coming upto 14 months and wondering what age did you start saying and teaching alphabet and numbers to your toddler?
I read on another site that some parents said their toddlers at 16 month could sing some rhymes
Part of alphabet and numbers.
I know my lo wouldn't have a clue what I'm talking about.is there anything I can do to help her? She can say a few words. Baba dada mamma cat woo woo for dig wack wack for duck. Knock knock. Hiya. Ball. Grandad.she responds with yes and no too but I'm unsure how to help her develop with numbers etc.

Advice would be appreciated

Thank you

babygirl2016 Tue 09-Jan-18 16:00:56

O forgot she can say car doh doh for dummy. Bye bye. Hiya. Ra ra for rabbit.sorry if your not interested in her vocab lol

Capelin Tue 09-Jan-18 19:46:03

Personally I never tried to teach mine numbers or alphabet, but I did read to them a lot and sing nursery rhymes etc. At this age they pick up a lot just by listening to you. Is there a rhyme time or music class you could take her to? My eldest could read before he started school but I didn’t teach him, he just picked it up because I read to him a lot.

HappyHippyHippo Tue 09-Jan-18 22:19:00

Oh gosh, not for ages!
Basically, dont bother doing anything until they start to show an interest...
Probably varies quite a lot from child to child. As a rough guide- I think dd got interested in letters at around 3 1/2 or shortly after. Numbers up to 10 must have been earlier. My 2 year 1 month old ds is possibly starting to show and interest in counting just in the last couple of weeks. One of his bedtime books has some counting on it and he just started to want to point while I said the numbers so he sort of gets it. So I might make an effort to start counting with him a bit more often- if he seems interested I'll carry on and if not I'll park it until he is interested.
I don't think there's any advantage to starting early. If you wait until it feels natural they just pick things up super quick and its fun.

My older two both like(d) singing - which they did a lot of at nursery. Ds (the two year old) sings constantly. But his songs are recognisable not because many, if any, of the words are audible, but because he can really hold a tune. Unlike his sister, who is 5 and still not in any way tuneful but,alas, also sings a lot.

Incidentally dd, who reads and writes really well now for her age, has been singing the ABC song at nursery since maybe age 2 but still doesn't seem to have clocked that the lyrics are the alphabet. She still sings 'ella-mella-pee' instead of 'LMNOP'. Because that's what she thinks the words are ;)
So teaching her the alphabet song clearly hasn't actually contributed to her literacy!

jaimelannistersgoldenhand Thu 11-Jan-18 09:59:11

Speech varies so much. My 2 sons didn't say a word at 2 (while their sister spoke sentences before 12 months) but with all of them I did stuff like count while walking down the stairs and the first number they knew was our house number (there's a plaque outside the front door)
I never taught the alphabet as I knew that schools teach "ah, buh, cuh" rather than "ay, bee, cee" but they were exposed to rhymes with lots of hand actions. At the beginning they pick up the odd word like the word star in Twinkle Twinkle. In nursery they played "I spy" phonetically so instead for the word shoe I'd say "I spy with my little eye something beginning with sh" rather than "something beginning with ess (s)"

InDubiousBattle Thu 11-Jan-18 14:34:47

My two are just turned 4 and 2.5 and I'm not doing anything specific. Ds (the 4 year old)can recite numbers up to 20 but can only count up to 10, he can recognise his name and the first letter of his sisters name. He only started to really talk at just shy of 3. We read together a lot, play games that involve counting, he likes road signs and asks what signs say and mean a lot. Some of my friends kids can recite the full aphabet (though most just know the song really), count to 50 and write their names pretty clearly now. I'm not really convinced it will be much of a benefit really, especially if it has to be pushed or 'strongly encouraged'. I try to just go with what they're interested in.

At 14 months she should be playing. Playing, giggling, pooing, eating and sleeping.

Witchend Thu 11-Jan-18 16:49:55

Thing is singing the alphabet means absolute nothing more than anything else.
Dd2 was singing the alphabet at a really young age-about 15 months. She was a chatterbox, and her big sister sang it a lot.
Aged about 20 months she showed how much understanding she had of it when she asked what "Ell-em, no pea-queue" meant.

I never actually tried to teach alphabet or numbers, they just learnt it at various ages.

tappitytaptap Sat 13-Jan-18 13:37:16

Mine is 21 months and we're just starting to teach him which numbers are which and trying to count. Am not going to bother with letters for a while!

Goldmandra Sat 13-Jan-18 15:42:36

Toddlers can learn lots of thing by rote; the alphabet, how to spell their name, numbers in order, theme tunes, nursery rhymes. At 14 months, they are just learning to repeat the sounds they hear. That's a useful stage of development and it's important to support it but they have no concept that the names of the letters relate to creating meaning through text.

I've known a toddler who can name all the parts of the internal combustion engine and another who can sing football songs. It's all valuable but it's the act of learning something, not the content that matters.

Talk to your DD lots. Name the parts of her body as you wash them and put clothes on her. Sing songs (any songs) and make music together with your voices, toys, pots and pans, etc.

Talk to her about familiar people and routines and real books to her lots. Follow the text with your finger so she learns that we read text left to right and will start to realise that the words you are speaking are related to the text she is seeing.

Talk to her about having more, or things that are big. These are important mathematical concepts that they can learn early on.

Knowing her alphabet and being able to count to 100 won't help her when she starts school, However, loving books, having a wide vocabulary alongside the confidence to express herself and being a resilient, enthusiastic and independent explorer of the world will stand her in good stead.

Don't teach her letter names or sounds without finding out how the school she will attend teaches them. If you teach her that 'a' says ay, she will find it harder to learn the right sound ('a' as in cat).

Have fun exploring the world with her and give her a head start by supporting her to follow her own interests, ask lots of questions and have resilience to learn from her mistakes and keep trying again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: