Talk

Advanced search

Speech delay

(6 Posts)
Mamarai Thu 21-Dec-17 00:09:06

Hello mums has any of you can help me ,and give me some advise.
My son is 3 years old , started Nurssery since September, but last year his Nurssery teachers told me that he may have speech problems,he only could say one ward which was daddy nothing else, last school year my son couldn't, say mum, didn't react to his name when called, recognised any colours or shapes, didn't know how to compt didn't know any body parts, didn't know any animals or their noise , wasn't singing any Nurssery rhymes and wouldn't interact with any other kids he was just alone in his own world, which really break my heart.
and each day as I went to pick him up the teachers will say how he didn interact with other children's how he never listen when talk too, how he had a behaviour problem because he wouldn't seat during reading or story Times, how he wasn't at target for his age.
I am so sad and disturbed as I couldn't help my little boy then at age 2.
So the Nurssery refferd him to speech therapy, just before school close for the hollidays,
As we waited for his appointment all of suddent he started to count from 1-10 he could point to the exact number in no particular order, he knew all the colours and could recognise them and he developed a fascination for shapes he knows them all, now he got seen by the speech therapist today who said he need behaviour assistance before speech therapy because he doesn't interact with others so it's not important what he knows I am catered😳

OP’s posts: |
CheapSausagesAndSpam Thu 21-Dec-17 01:10:00

Op, this sounds very stressful. It honestly sounds as if your DS is showing some signs of Autism. I'd push for him to be assessed for that as soon as possible because if he IS, then he can benefit from treatment as soon as possible.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Fri 22-Dec-17 07:58:56

Hello Mama. Are you in the UK? If so, I’d go to the GP and push for a referral to a Paeditrician who can asses him. He may also need to be referred for a hearing test.

Let us know how you get on fsmile

Mamarai Fri 22-Dec-17 18:00:56

Thank you mum's for your prompt reply, yes I live in UK, he has receive his letter to see the peadratician in February, I'll push for all you've advised me , will keep you posted , Merry Christmas to you all.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Fri 22-Dec-17 18:49:23

It’s good that he’s going to see the Paeditrician. If he hasn’t had a hearing test recently, I’d ask your HV to refer you. At least the you’ll know if hearing is affecting his speech and development.

If you do think it may be Autism like Cheap suggests, you might find this article from the National Autistic Society helpful. They also have a Helpline if you think it might be worth talking through your concerns and what to expect at the appointment with the Paeditrician thanks

Mamarai Fri 22-Dec-17 22:42:33

Thanks for ur message love. He can read the alphabet out loud with confidence, he can also point to the exact ward, he knows all his shapes too, he can repeat anything you say to him a s also lately he sings Nurssery whymes , wave and say by and hello , he react to his name too, and this new skills have just developed since I've taken the don't away from him, he interact so well with his sister's but not so much at school

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in