Talk

Advanced search

4 years old= trouble

(4 Posts)
keylam Thu 14-Dec-17 23:19:16

Hi moms! How did you guys deal with the attitude of a 4 year old? My LO will say things like I'm not talking to you I'm talking to Grandma or she'll smack her lips at me. I'm patiently trying to teach her that that kind of behavior will not be tolerated while also refraining from giving her a little spanking. Any suggestions?

OP’s posts: |
corythatwas Fri 15-Dec-17 00:34:04

Just a brisk "don't be cheeky, dear" and then quickly turning your attention to something else often works ime. Totally ignore smacking lips unless the noise is really loud and unpleasant.

Normal stage of development in 4yos to want to assert independence and think they know it all. It will pass quicker if you don't show signs of irritation; when you need to tell off, just do it briskly and calmly.

MaryLizzie Sun 17-Dec-17 17:55:26

Ignore everything. This behaviour is usually to get a reaction. If they get no attention, they will get bored.

I know it is hard and can be embarrassing. (Mine once told me she hated me because I asked if she could draw a car) but it is just a phase where they are trying to see how they can influence others and what works.

If it is persistent or hard to ignore just say ‘that’s rude’ and keep doing what you’ve been doing before so they get minimal attention.

Hope this helps!

keylam Sun 17-Dec-17 19:11:24

Thank you for the advice. I will definitely use this technique.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in