11yo DD Attention Seeking. Help she has no friends.

(3 Posts)
MyNameIsNotSarah Tue 12-Dec-17 20:53:24

Dd has over the last few years turned from a confident girl to a "drama queen" and its cost her, her friends.

She makes up things, small and large to get the attention of other kids at school. She has tried it on us at home, but we don't react so it stops. The school asked me to come in before the summer to discuss something very serious she said to another child and then to a teacher. The school have a duty of care to look into it, but it's clear it was just said for effect and then our family was dragged into the drama.

Since then, things have spiralled and have got worse. None of the kids at school want to be her friend and they tolerate her. But as soon as she makes up another situation or causes more drama, they all walk away, she cries and says nobody supports her.

Dh thinks that I butt heads with her about it, but I feel like more sympathy over the stuff that isn't true, is just feeding the monster. I've been trying to give her attention for positive things and I've suggested more one to one time with us, which is hard with 2 other dc's and we both work.

Any advice would be most welcome, I'm at a loss and I my heart breaks for her. I have no idea what to do, clearly my way isn't working.

Do I tell her to stop the drama, be strict and firm, punish the behaviour?

Or do I give her the sympathy she craves?

Help

OP’s posts: |
CheapSausagesAndSpam Wed 13-Dec-17 09:01:27

Google "Love Bombing"

It works and your DD is clearly in need of nothing but love and support from the person who should have her back during this difficult time.

it sounds to me as though she's having a serious cricis of confidence and this is how she's manifesting that.

MyNameIsNotSarah Wed 13-Dec-17 13:22:38

Thanks, I'll look that up now.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in