Talk

Advanced search

why is my 5 week old suddenly crying so much?

(4 Posts)
Muse84 Fri 08-Dec-17 17:42:40

FTM here, baby is just over 5 weeks. He has been absolutely perfect - sleeping constantly, no crying (we knew were lucky!)

As of this Monday it's as if someone has swapped our baby. He now fusses and cries unless he's eating (EBF) or sleeping

I know his milk intake is good as I've seen lactation consultant for latch issues, and he's gaining weight very rapidly.

He's passing normal poops once a day and lots of wet nappies

He never vomits and shows no sign of distress after eating

He's not pulling legs up when crying so think colic low on the list

It's just the manner of his crying that gets me. It's not hours of inconsolable tears; I can stop him crying in seconds by feeding or sometimes just hugging. But basically, every time he finishes feeding or when he wakes, it's just a matter of seconds before his face scrunches up, he squawks then cries. I just feel like he's never happy at the moment.

I've tried to recognise a pattern in what stops him, I've tried everything (music, white noise, stimulating him with toys, quiet chats, tummy time, putting him to bed on sleepyhead, on his bed, in pram. Feeding loads! Nothing reliably makes him happy again. He's currently on me in a sling as I know this will enforce some sleep in a probably over tired baby, but even as I write this his face scrunches up and he starts squirming for 10 secs or so.

I don't know what to do. I don't know if there's a physical issue or he's just going through a phase (a leap?)

Please help if you've experienced similar. I'm finding it difficult not to get stressed and down at the fact that my baby simply isn't happy at the moment. And I can't catch a break to do anything!!!

OP’s posts: |
girlfromwest Fri 08-Dec-17 20:52:43

Doesn't sound like colic. Is it a gas? Did you try infacol or gripe water? Tummy massage?

Codlet Sat 09-Dec-17 21:19:33

Yes, I remember mine going through similar at around this age. I think it might just be that they ‘wake up’ around this age. As they’re more alert and less sleepy, they can also feel unsettled.

Try not to stress, OP. It’s awful when your baby cries, but I think it helps to accept that it’s totally normal and you can’t always know what’s causing it.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sun 10-Dec-17 12:02:18

I think my first realised about this age that we could put him down and be separate from him, which he didn’t like at all.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in