Talk

Advanced search

Meningitis C vaccine

(3 Posts)
Loverunandwine Thu 07-Dec-17 00:40:30

Hi all,
The UK vaccine program has changed and now my 4 month DC will not receive Mec C until 12 months, previously it was at 3 and 4 months. The decision taken because of how rare the disease now is. This all being said, the disease can be devastating as shown by the current case of a 10 month old baby contracting it (my thoughts are with the parents and baby).

I am therefore considering paying for it privately rather than wait till 12 months. Anyone else considering this? I know I could wait but the ‘what if’ keeps playing in my head.....! I know there are a lot of ‘what if’ but this one I can prevent.

MissConductUS Thu 07-Dec-17 01:06:40

I usually look to what the US CDC recommends when in doubt. In this case, it only recommends the vaccine for certain cohorts of infants:

CDC Meningitis Vaccination

But that may because the disease is even rarer here than it is in the UK. If it would give you peace of mind to do it, consult your pediatrician and if they don't object I'd say go ahead.

By the way, well done thinking proactively about this. I wasn't aware that there was a recent pediatric case of Men C in the UK.

Loverunandwine Thu 07-Dec-17 22:08:56

Thanks for your message, I’m going to go ahead with it. There’s no impact to bringing forward the vaccine-well only a cost implication, but at least I’ll have peace of mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now