Advanced search

Advice please! 11 month old hysterical at nappy changes or getting dressed!

(5 Posts)
Justalittleworried1 Wed 06-Dec-17 20:09:51

My 11 month old boy has always hated having his nappy changed or getting dressed. He has reflux still so I wonder whether its to do with that as lying on his back may be painful? But as soon as I go to lie him down he starts screaming bloody murder and kicking and thrashing which always ends up in poo going everywhere and both of us in tears by the end of it. I dread having to change his nappy or dress him. I've tried distracting him in all kinds of ways but nothing helps. The only thing I can kind of do is change his nappy as he's standing up holding onto something. He seems to be a very difficult baby as he always is crying or angrily shouting and I feel like a terrible mum as I'm so worn down by it that I end up snapping at him every day! He also won't stop grabbing at hair or faces. He scratched my nose yesterday so hard it bled. He gets told off every time he does it yet he still carries on doing it. Does anyone have any advice?

user1495739076 Wed 06-Dec-17 20:49:23

My 16 month old has excema so isn't keen on being dressed or nappy changes either
The only thing that really helps is baby songs on the iPad and giving him something to hold to keep him distracted
My son was also very rough when touching my face or hair and our cat aswell as well as his own body poor thing was always covered in scratches and only in the last 6 weeks or so has stopped doing this
I would let him touch my hair but would hold higher up in a bunch so he couldn't just grab what he wanted when he touched it nicely I praised him and said he was being nice and soft and when he was being rough I would take my hair away and gently move his hand away and say no in a calm voice.
He is a lot gentler now even with his toys and other children
Having said that I think it's a motor skill they have to gain and I don't think he was fully in control of his grip especially when excited
Don't beat yourself up having a baby with reflux is hard x

Ritualunion Fri 08-Dec-17 20:10:11

My 10.5 month old DS is the same, protests at everything. It’s like he’s realised he’s his own person and doesn’t like being told what to do!

With nappy changes, I sometimes have success giving him something ‘illicit’ like the remote control or tube of cream. However this doesn’t always work so usually I end up putting his nappy on backwards as he’s more inclined to stay still when lying on his front. Haven’t had any leaks that way, but it is tricky taking it off if he then has a poo.

My boy sounds like yours and it’s very draining isn’t it? It’s hard not to compare with other calmer and more compliant babies isn’t it! I find when I tell him off for doing something it just makes him want to do it even more. He is enjoying pushing boundaries - constantly. I’m thinking it’s just a phase they’ll move on from, but it’s exhausting isn’t it, and it makes you doubt your parenting abilities. But know that you’re not alone!

Justalittleworried1 Sat 09-Dec-17 11:16:26

Thanks so much for your reply, it's made me feel a lot better to know I'm not the only one.

Ritualunion Sat 09-Dec-17 15:57:46

No worries. I find reading the Wonder Weeks book and the Belly Belly website with weekly accounts of baby development very reassuring, that these fussy episodes are normal.
I keep telling myself spirited baby = intelligence and confidence in later life! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now