Talk

Advanced search

Small son

(3 Posts)
Nac53 Sun 03-Dec-17 11:40:00

My eldest is just turned 13 and he is small, just 145 cms (about 4 ft 9). His mother is 5'6 and I (father) 5'9. I was a late developer (didn't start puberty until 14 1/2 and so was his paternal grandmother. He id getting worried especially as he is due to start in his senior school next Sept when he will be one of the oldest in his class...by probably the shortest. Should I be worried? Otherwise he is very healthy, sporty and bright. Thanks

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sun 03-Dec-17 21:08:35

Do you think it would be worth taking him to the GP in January and asking the Doctor for advice?

FWIW my son was a similar height 18 months ago and is now 5’8”. He’s 13 too and the growth spurt has taken me really by surprise as he’s always been in the small side before.

Nac53 Thu 07-Dec-17 17:43:34

Many thanks, I think it's most likely a genetic thing and he'll catch up when puberty starts. He's still very much a prepubescent which is good as it would be of more concern if the wasn't growing and going through puberty at the same time. I have my own growth charts and he is only 1 cm smaller than I was at his age...so there's hope!! I'll take him to a GP and see what (s)he says.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now