Talk

Advanced search

Sleep training - help!

(4 Posts)
Sleepisastranger Sun 03-Dec-17 04:51:42

We travelled a lot in the first 7 months of our daughters life so it was hard to make a routine. Her mother breastfed her to sleep each night and whenever she woke up.
I've read a lot about sleep training and the different approaches ( time v. tears) and now, at ten months we decided to try.
Her mother stayed up until 4 with het, picking her up if she cried and putting her down again as soon as possible. Then I took over at 4 and she slept on my chest.
We got through three nights like that without milk until the morning, opening the curtains to the new day with the first feeding.
She still woke up about ten times and now in the fourth night she didn't sleep until 4.30.
Where do we go from here?
We're probably too sentimental to leave her to just cry it out. I understand that she needs to learn to fall asleep by herself. But she gets too upset for that to happen..

skankingpiglet Sun 03-Dec-17 23:00:44

Are you attempting to night wean at the same time as sleep train? If so that is quite a lot for all of you to take on in one go.
Prior to the training how often was she having milk at night? It may well be she's genuinely hungry. I night weaned DC1 at 9mo but DC2 was nearer 12mo. DC2 just wasn't ready before then. I started by slowly lengthening the gap between feeds rather than going cold turkey. Once night weaned I tackled the (lack of) sleeping.

skankingpiglet Sun 03-Dec-17 23:03:19

Also, plenty of babies aren't able to self-settle at this age yet. It's very normal and although it's wonderful if they can, it isn't something she 'should' be doing.

DonkeyOaty Mon 04-Dec-17 08:50:04

piglet you make good points.

What she said.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now