Talk

Advanced search

4 year old says he doesn’t like his daddy

(3 Posts)
lightcola Fri 01-Dec-17 19:47:11

My 4 year old son says he doesn’t like his dad. He kicks off when he tries to take him to bed and will refuse to say goodnight. I’ve just asked him why he says he doesn’t like him and he says it’s because he just wants me around. I am a SAHM so he spends a lot more time with me, but when his dad is at home we do lots of family things together and he plays with him etc. This has been going on for over a year so it can’t be just a phase. Is this normal behaviour? Obviously it’s breaking his dads heart and I don’t know what to do about it.

EightyNine Fri 01-Dec-17 20:15:27

Does dad work a lot? I don’t know of anything recently but have a friend who’s younger sister refused to talk to her dad for a couple of years when she was a similar age to your DS. As far as I know it was a problem that didn’t persist beyond this.

Crumbs1 Fri 01-Dec-17 21:14:14

Ignore the idea he really hates his father and tell him not to be so mean. He shouldn’t be calling the tune about who puts him to bed. He also shouldn’t get away with being rude to his father. Maybe you could go out a couple of evenings - gym, swimming, see a friend, do the shopping whatever - and leave your husband and son to have special ‘men’s time’ together.
Mine have all said they’ve hated one or other of us at some point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now