Talk

Advanced search

8 month old won't respond to his name

(9 Posts)
littlebloom Fri 01-Dec-17 08:48:54

Hello mums,
I am writing here because I am loosing my sleep over the fact that my DS seems to ignore me calling him. From what I've read this could be an early indicator of autism and I'm freaking out.
He has good eye contact and is very smiley sociable baby.
He will turn towards me if I call him from across the room, but NEVER if I'm behind him.
He babbles and squeels a lot but rarely as a mean of communication with me.
He's not interested in games like peek-a-boo (except if someone else is holding him and I am hiding behind their shoulders, he will try to find me and laugh heartly)
Also he's not interested at all in solids, I have to trick him into eating by distracting him with a toy.
Sometimes when I rock him to sleep he will wiggle his fingers ( stimming?!), and likes to look at his hands when there's nothing better to do.
I really need to hear from mothers who went through this and their baby turned out to be fine. I am quite an anxious person and I really hope it's just my insecurity thinking.
Please help!

skippybobobo Fri 01-Dec-17 08:55:15

Your expectations of his age are unrealistic.
Worry about this when his nearer 18 months not 8!

jaimelannistersgoldenhand Fri 01-Dec-17 09:08:01

How mobile is he? A baby would find it much harder to physically move their head so that they could see the person behind them than look at a person across the room.

If you have concerns about hearing then consult your GP but Ashe responds to you from across the room it sounds fine.

jaimelannistersgoldenhand Fri 01-Dec-17 09:13:03

Wiggling fingers doesn't sound like stimming. Think about your hand movements. Do you ever stretch them out, wiggle them because they are a little stiff?

If your child turns out to be autistic then it'll be clearer by age 2.

Not playing Peekaboo is definitely not a concern. None of my kids were particularly bothered by it.

It's normal for 8 month olds to squeal just because they can. It's unusual for them to communicate. In the next few months you could see pointing, babbling etc but he's only 8 months. Stop worrying and enjoy him.

Witchend Fri 01-Dec-17 09:47:58

This is all totally normal. Watching their hands and wriggling fingers is actually a development stage (it used to be listed as one in my red book)
Even the typical flappy hand motion is considered normal until 2/3yo (my ds did it a lot)

littlebloom Fri 01-Dec-17 16:17:23

Thank you so much for your responses!
I know that probably I sound crazy with my concerns and I hope from the bottom of my heart that it will turn out to be nothing.
I never thought that anything is wrong with him untill I started googling...I am confused as I read somewhere that responding to name is a 6 months milestone, and most babies do it by 8 months.
Regarding the babbling as a mean of communicating with me, of course I am not unrealistic to expect conversations with him...what I wanted to say is that there's no really back and forth exchanging of sounds, he seems to babble more towards toys than to myself.
I knew that watching hands is a normal thing for them to do, but isn't it for much younger babies? I thought that he would be over it by now.

EightyNine Fri 01-Dec-17 20:27:23

Re responding to name, This is different from the ability to localise sounds which is what you’re talking about. At six months you’d expect him to respond, but nine months is the average for being able to localise sounds above and below ear level. Also at nine months you would expect a baby to hear but still not be able to localise sounds at the midline. So he can hear you, and knows you’re calling him, but he doesn’t know where to look to find you yet. Pretty cute really :-)

Most people wouldn’t even notice this. You’re just paying way more attention than most of us do to exactly what he can and can’t do. Maybe because of your anxiety? :-)

slapmyarseandcallmemary Sat 02-Dec-17 21:14:05

I have a 7 & a half month old baby. He looks at his hands and flexes them (especially when I'm trying to get him to nap or sleep), he sometimes responds to his name, but other times he doesn't. He babbles and has taken to high pitched babbling lol but he hasn't said mama or dada or anything like that. Up until a couple of weeks ago, he wasn't interested much in solids, but I introduced finger foods as well as spoon foods and he is a lot more interested now. I think it's natural to worry. I also have anxiety and I worry a great deal, but I just keep reminding myself of how little he still is and how much he is trying to learn. I don't know if this helps? Also, Google can be useful but when you have anxiety on any level, it just exacerbates things. X

WombOfOnesOwn Sun 03-Dec-17 02:34:21

It's crucial to remember that the root of "autism" is "auto" = "self." The idea originally when autism was named is that autistic children never evolved beyond the baby/toddler stage of being totally self-obsessed.

Many behaviors that would be very abnormal in preschoolers are 100% normal with babies because their selves are their whole world, and they are too wrapped up in their own perspective and feelings to care in the slightest what yours are.

Stimming is a very natural thing for babies to do. Typically, we expect children to grow out of most kinds of stimming by 4 or 5 because it's a social norm that we don't fidget in public and by that age most of us are capable of controlling it for the sake of social conformity.

These just aren't signs of autism yet. Your baby is far too young. A lot of this early awareness stuff has just got a lot of parents worried about their baby's developmentally normal stages and making themselves sick with anxiety over a baby who's doing great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now