Talk

Advanced search

Feel like a battered mum

(2 Posts)
Jmuly Thu 30-Nov-17 11:20:33

My son who is 6 is driving me insane at bedtime. He has never been a good sleeper, but this has worsened in the last 6 months. To give a wee bit of history, I seperated from my husband December last year, my son stays with his dad Wednesday night and Saturday and Sunday night. His dad puts him to bed with the iPad and he falls asleep either watching it or when it runs out. There is very little communication between myself and ex husband. Bedtime with me is completely different!!!! I have always tried to maintain the same routine for the year we have been living in our new house due to seperation but it's not working, story and time to sleep basically. My son is never ever tired, this week he hasn't been falling asleep till after 22.30 each night!!!! But before this happens I get verbally and physically abused, he hits, kicks, nips, pulls my hair, throws things at me, calls me names, swears. This breaks my heart to actually write this down and admit it. I really am at my wits end with it. I have fibromyalgia which affects my energy levels and means I'm in constant pain so the physical abuse is terrible. My son is so protective over me at all other times and is completely fine outwith this awful bedtime situation we are now in. He also seems to get very angry during this time also.
Can anyone give any advice on this, do I go to my gp, ask in school for some help, even though his behaviour is 100% perfect there, any advice would be much appreciated. Sorry for the long post x

user1495739076 Thu 30-Nov-17 11:43:18

I feel bad for you you sound exhusted and so does your son which may be why his behaviour is becoming more difficult
Your ex husband needs to be on board with having the same bedtime routine as you so that your son has a chance to be ready for bed at the proper time and be able to fall asleep on his own
If he's not falling asleep untill 10.30 he is probably missing his window and getting overtired and angry
The hitting and swearing etc is completely unacceptable aswell your ex partner needs to be on top of disciplining him for this aswell
If your ex partner is cooperative with not putting him to bed with iPad and not letting him swear and be violent tell him his son can't sleep over untill your son gets used to your bedtime routine
Your ex partner probably has just as much of a problem putting your son to bed which is why he is probably using the iPad and may be grateful in the long run
Your son is being given all kinds of mixed messages which is probably making it worse aswell
Hope it all gets better for you soon x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now