Talk

Advanced search

My 1yo loves numbers and Google wants to tell me he's autistic...

(9 Posts)
IsThisYourSanderling Thu 09-Nov-17 14:45:42

So my question is, anybody else's baby love numbers and/or letters and turn out perfectly fine?

I don't think he's autistic; he has good eye contact, warm smiles and the rest. He is however fastidious about some textures / mess: doesn't like messy play, prefers to use a fork (with help) to eat. But it's not an extreme aversion or anything.

He's been in love with numbers and letters since about 8/9 months old, and is now 13mo. He has favourites - he's utterly devoted to the number 10, and can barely contain his excitement when he encounters it. In shops he makes a beeline for any printed text he sees, so he can trace the letters, point, squeal, caress them etc.

I haven't really known any other babies before DS, so googled it as it seemed unusual in a baby so young, and the results just screamed autism / hyperlexia.

Any stories of number/letter-obsessed babies who aren't hyperlexic/autistic gratefully received smile

IsThisYourSanderling Thu 09-Nov-17 14:50:49

Just in case the above all sounds like a sneaky brag, it's not intended that way, I'm genuinely bemused / concerned. He wasn't in a hurry to sit or crawl.

Mamabear4180 Sun 12-Nov-17 15:11:36

Keep open minded about autism. I didn't think my DD was autistic, she was particularly good at building towers (10 blocks by 13 months) and was obsessed with colours. She said her first words at 12 months, waved and clapped and had good eye contact. Then somewhere between 18-24 months while I was busy with her newborn sister (who had hideous reflux) I realised she wasn't progressing much with her speech. I also couldn't recall the last time she waved or pointed and she had stopped clapping to songs. At her 2 year check she was referred to SALT. The rest is history. She is now nearly 3 and very much on the autistic spectrum! Still fascinated with colours. Even at 2 years old I would have denied any possibility of ASD. She didn't seem typical. Now it's obvious.

My 16 month old is showing some signs now. Had 3 words originally, now only has one. Doesn't point..does wave and clap. HV coming back in January to see if she needs a referral.

It could be something, it could be nothing. Just stay open minded in case. Also autism is kind of beautiful. My DD is clever and lovely. I feel lucky in lots of ways.

Tilapia Sun 12-Nov-17 15:57:07

Sorry OP, I can’t help except to say that your DS does sound very unusual. My DS liked numbers from an early age - but by early I mean 4 years, not 8 months! But he sounds fab - I love the thought of his excitement when he encounters the number 10!

CaptainKirkssparetupee Sun 12-Nov-17 17:48:50

he has good eye contact, warm smiles and the rest
So do many people with autism.

IsThisYourSanderling Thu 16-Nov-17 10:55:06

Thanks everyone. I got a bit spooked by your reply Mamabear and a friend advised me to ring our HV, who was very reassuring and said that while it's a bit early to tell, she has absolutely no concerns about DS being autistic at this point, and that he just likes numbers the way other babies like tractors or Peppa Pig. Met up with some friends yesterday who have toddlers, and they were adamant he's showing no traits - tbh he was the smiliest and most sociable kid in the room so he made me look faintly ridiculous even mentioning it... So my worries have evaporated thankfully- I just have an unusually literate baby. I should show him an episode of Numberwang, he'd love it grin

Captain I mentioned those things because it's the first thing HVs and GPs ask in relation to autism in young children

Mamabear4180 Fri 17-Nov-17 18:36:20

Glad you feel reassured OP. That's great news. You did the right thing seeing the HV.

Schwanengesang Sat 18-Nov-17 08:01:16

Worth pointing out that autism is a spectrum that has many different axes - look up "broad autism phenotype" and you will realise that it encompasses many slightly fastidious people with a specific interest in something. I know of what i speak, I have ASD and ADD diagnoses, I was/am hyperlexic. There was a thread on here not long ago about hyperlexia and many people on that thread seem to have turned out just fine. Were it not for other aspects of my upbringing I would have been, like my husband, just another slightly fastidious academic who happened to learn to read aged 2. Husband and I are probably very closely matched as to position on the autism spectrum - I sought a diagnosis as an adult due to mental health issues, he is fine and has never felt the need.

So even if DS is hyperlexic it is definitely not a problem of itself (other htan the fact he might be bored witless at school for a bit... grin)

MiaowTheCat Sat 18-Nov-17 12:45:39

DD1 was very very into letters and numbers from a really young age (she shocked the children's centre staff by identifying them pretty much as soon as she could talk). I had a query about her in terms of autism over the last year and a bit (she's nearly 6 now), but I think a lot of it was down to the school she was at, her not fitting well socially there so she was being isolated and flitting around alongside kids trying to play with them but being completely ignored and similar - I've moved her school now and you'd never have those concerns anymore - she sits in class quite happily chatting and playing with other kids (I've bawled my eyes out with joy seeing this). Yes, she's still a slightly quirky young girl but I'm not worried about autism anymore.

She just likes letters and numbers - she was a nosy bugger who wanted to know what was going on around her and cracked fairly early on that these funny squiggly bits were like having a conversation she wasn't part of and she was NOT HAVING THAT!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now