Talk

Advanced search

Self feeding 22 month old (possible ASD)

(7 Posts)
rachndan Wed 08-Nov-17 12:36:51

Hi all

DD2 is 22 months old and she is currently being assessed for ASD. This is due to lack of speech, imitation and other social skills. However, another thing is she will not feed herself with a spoon or fork.

She is a fussy eater as it is so most of her eating is finger foods but she does have porridge and yoghurts but will not feed herself. She will just sit there with her mouth open and wait for me to do. If I just leave the spoon with yoghurt on it for her or the bowl she will just throw them.

She feeds herself with her own bottle etc.

Any tips on how to get her to do it herself, bear in mind the ASD and her lack of communication skills. So any advice on assisting her to start talking would be good too. She does babble but wont inimiate or copy any words.

Thanks

rachndan Sat 11-Nov-17 12:58:52

Bump

Kleinzeit Sat 11-Nov-17 13:43:32

Hi Rachndan, sorry this isn't something I have experience of but hopefully when your DD gets her ASC assessments she will see a SALT who will be able to advise on communication. You might get more answers if you ask on the MN Special Needs - Children board.

Mamabear4180 Sat 11-Nov-17 19:00:02

My DD is 3 next month and has ASD and is exactly the same. It's a sensory thing, she will only eat sloppy food if I feed her and she won't use cutlery. All related to sensory issues, she isn't really bothered about eating wet foods at all which is why she won't self feed I think. Some foods also make her gag. They can't help it OP.

Catalufa Sun 12-Nov-17 08:01:10

My eldest is nearly 12, so he was weaned before the baby led weaning thing was popular. I fed him with a spoon because that’s what everyone did. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with spoon feeding her if that’s what she prefers.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sun 12-Nov-17 08:38:15

Can’t really offer any advice but second the suggestion of having a look at the MN Special Needs Board, yiu might find yiu get a few more posters. MNHQ will move your thread over if you ask them 🙂

If you want her to have the porridge but don’t want to feed her, have you thought about trying porridge fingers? Yoghurt freezes too so maybe try her with a yoghurt lolly?

rachndan Wed 15-Nov-17 18:14:32

Thank you.

If this can be moved over to the Special Needs section. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now