Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Son is on a dangerous path with drugs

(8 Posts)
worriedsick17 Sun 05-Nov-17 09:06:56

My son has always had problems with his behaviour, getting into trouble at school etc and he has smoked both weed and weed since he started secondary school. Of course we tried everything to stop him but it didn't work so eventually we settled for as long as he doesn't do it in the house and we know what he doing then that was better than nothing.

When he was about 14 he became friends with someone new, a guy at school. Suddenly his smoking became a lot heavier and he pulled away from us more. I then found a bag of drugs in his room, he told me they weren't his and they were storing him for that friend as his dog could smell them. I went over to talk to the mother of the boy and she said she wasn't surprised but there was nothing she could do, her and her daughter were petrified of this boy - he robbed the family home when he was 14.

A few months of trying to get my son to keep his distance from this guy and I found another, larger bag of drugs in his room. He said he was storing them for a friend and receiving a small amount of money for it. I went with my son to visit family outside of england to try to get him away from the situation.

This worked and for a long time he calmed down, got a new job, still smoked weed but only roughly once a week and I didn't hear of this friend anymore.

Last year the friend came back into his life, and my son's behaviour started to get worrying again. He started drinking alone in his room and smoking weed alone all the time. Tensions in the house ran very high for a while and he has recently moved out to a family member's.

Recently we had a family function, at which my son was present. It became clear that he had moved onto harder drugs and now takes cocaine. We heard from one of his close friends that he takes this regularly now, sometimes even in the afternoon and apparently people have noticed that his short term memory is awful, with him repeating a conversation 2 minutes after he has already had it.

I am worried he is on a road to nowhere but do not know how best to handle the situation, he needs help but how do I do this without risking pushing him further away?

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Sun 05-Nov-17 19:19:25

Think that sounds like every parent’s worst nightmare. Do you have any support from any of the drug charities?

Catalufa Sun 05-Nov-17 21:13:06

How old is he now OP? Is he still living at home?

worriedsick17 Mon 06-Nov-17 09:18:47

He's 21 now which means that unfortunately we can't force him to listen anymore but we can't do nothing either. He is living with a family member but only recently left home.

We don't have any support from drug charities, I actually haven't really looked into getting some mainly because I just didn't know where to look!

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Mon 06-Nov-17 21:39:01

Lots of information and support listed here Worried. Really hope you get some support.

Goshthatwentwell Mon 06-Nov-17 22:13:47

Honestly, I don't think you can do anything. I have several friends and family members who have chosen the path. Most grew out if it but not until the drug got serious and depression kicked in.
They didn't take advice or support well.

EveryoneTalkAboutPopMusic Tue 07-Nov-17 17:45:57

Perhaps I haven’t made myself clear. I was hoping the OP could find information and support for herself 🙂

suepowell Tue 07-Nov-17 20:33:55

Really sorry to hear about your situation. You Son probably needs more connection with the family. How about bringing his grand parents and keep them close to him along with yours. This idea might sound like not very helpful. But if you look at it, the whole idea of a person getting into drugs happens due to bad company and due to lack of emotional connection with family. If you spend more time with him without trying to stop him from doing what he does directly, then perhaps it can distract him from drugs. You could travel for long distance or give him more work. May be encourage him to do some online business or anything to keep him busy. You need to do in a subtle way. Hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now