Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know of any nutritional drinks for a 15 month old.

(11 Posts)
Timberwood Sun 05-Nov-17 07:13:36

Good Morning All,

Apologies if this is on the wrong thread but this is my first time posting on here, in fact any forum.

My 15 month old little girl has never liked milk, she had an intolerance to an ingredient (still not sure which one) in formula, and isn’t keen on cows milk.

She has always been slight (18.4lbs) but again always been between the 9th and 25th line and healthy.

The problem I have now is she has is going off her food (I’ve tried lots and lots of different types) she is definitely much more of a snacker than a main meal girl and is obsessed with fruit and veg which is fab but she isn’t getting the calories she needs.

I know you can get nutritional milk drinks but again she doesn’t like milk so I was wondering if there was a fruit tasting one? I know my mother in law was giving them when she was ill but can’t imagine the same ones are suitable for babies.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the essay

Thank you in advance x

MrsOverTheRoad Sun 05-Nov-17 07:28:31

You need to see the doctor...not ask on a forum.

Timberwood Sun 05-Nov-17 08:20:48

Really unhelpful comment!! I’m sure here are lots of questions on here that people could reply the same with but as it’s a Sunday, I’m just trying to gain a bit of research myself before speaking with what will probably be a unhelpful doctor.

People like you are probably the reason I haven’t posted on forums before and probably won’t again!!

Thank you again for your really helpful comment!

poptarting Sun 05-Nov-17 19:02:33

Why do you think she’s not getting the calories she needs? If she’s still gaining weight and having wet/dirty nappies then I really wouldn’t worry, toddlers are pretty good at self regulating their food and their appetites tends to peak and trough.

Are you giving her a multivitamin?

As for not liking milk, my dd never moved on to cow’s milk after breastfeeding either, she just didn’t like it, she loves cheese though and yoghurt, and I give her one of those actimel yoghurt drinks a few times a week.

MrsOverTheRoad Mon 06-Nov-17 01:08:24

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Montgomerystubercles Tue 07-Nov-17 14:43:43

What about trying a bit of a banana/strawberry blended into some milk as a drink with some breakfast? That might help if it’s just the taste she doesn’t like and help put your mind at ease if she is having some calories from milk.

MomtoOneMarvelousBubba Sat 11-Nov-17 14:07:19

Try giving her half an avocado each day mashed up it comes to less than a tablespoon-full. They are packed with goodness: vitamins A,D and E. Omegas, folates, super good fats and other good things. The flavour is innofensive and goes well with banana for e.g.. My LO loves it grin. Hope that helps

Smellyjo Sat 11-Nov-17 19:54:10

Have you tried home made smoothies? My nearly 2 dd loves them and you can add whatever you like - if you have a nutribullet it can blend nuts, seeds etc which are calorie and vitamin rich, as well as including spinach, coconut oil, yoghurt, oats, whatever takes your fancy.

And as for being off food in general - I really recommend the book 'my child won't eat' by Carlos Gonzales. So reassuring- lots in it but he is a paediatrician and gives lots of research examples about why toddlers don't eat much and why you shouldn't fret about it unless they are showing signs of being ill.

Hallloumi Sat 11-Nov-17 23:22:18

If she's well and gainning weight within those centiles then just keep trying and the advice above is good. If you want more 'medical' advice then try to speak to your health visitor- they probably have a drop in clinic and would update her weight on chart at same time. If she seems unwell or the health visitor is concerned then see your GP but GP don't prescribe nutritional drinks to anyone unless advised by dieticians and otherwise well but picky/fickle toddlers don't need a dietician (and attempts at referral would probably be rejected).

It's very common for toddlers to get along well on apparently very little food but still thrive and grow. Good luck!
(I am a GP)

doodle01 Sat 11-Nov-17 23:35:43

Stop pandering to her milk is nice

Catalufa Sun 12-Nov-17 07:45:57

Just wanted to reassure you that the fussy eating thing is so normal at this age. I have three DC, all good eaters, and they all went through a fussy phase at this age. It definitely doesn’t mean that she’ll be a ‘snacker’ when she’s older.

I think it’s a bit of a power / control thing - she’s just found out that she can say ‘no’ and there’s not much you can do about it! Try to stay as relaxed as possible when she refuses food (or drink) so it doesn’t become a power struggle between you.

Good luck OP!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: