Talk

Advanced search

Red section for speech and language assestment

(8 Posts)
Savannah13nbump Thu 02-Nov-17 21:18:39

My lo is 15 months no words yet, which I wasn't concerned about, but he has no understanding of simple commands, give mummy car for example, if I ask him where anything is unless it's daddy, cat or dimming he just looks aimlessly around, so contacted hv for advice they came and did an assessment, he scored 4 out of 10 so in a red area, which means he has a delay, 18 week wait for referral, could he still catch up, what does this mean for my little man?

BackforGood Fri 03-Nov-17 01:03:13

No-one is really able to answer that until he has been individually assessed by a SaLT (Speech and Language Therapist). It could be that he is just a little bit delayed and might have a spurt before he is even seen, right through to him having a real speech and language disorder, but it is not possible for anyone to tell from the information you have given.
The Talking Point / iCan website is worth a read - it has lots of hints and tips of things you can be doing over the next 18weeks to see if you can make a difference, and (I haven't looked tonight, but you can have a mooch around the site) they used to have a freephone number you could call and arrange to talk to a SaLT who will give you some strategies, tips, and advice to try with your LO at home. [smile

Witchend Fri 03-Nov-17 09:27:08

As back says, it could be everything from showing a severe delay that won't catch up (unlikely if he's developing normally in every other way) to starts speaking next week!
What I would do is go to the GP and request a referral to ENT for a hearing test. There's likely to be a waiting list for that too, and there's a good chance the first thing SALT will say is ask if he's had a hearing check, so might as well get ahead of the game there.

If he does have a hearing issue the chances are it's glue ear, which is non-permanent, and they usually grow out of it. Does he get ear infections, which can be one sign of it?

BackforGood Fri 03-Nov-17 13:37:14

Great advice to go and ask for a hearing test.

Savannah13nbump Fri 03-Nov-17 16:29:58

Thank you all so much, the hv asked about his hearing I said I think it's fine, but did ask for a referral Incase so she has put that forward, it's just so hard with it being a waiting game to know how I can help him, I looked on the Ican website but couldn't find any activities but I'll check your link out, he's a very bosterious boy aswell so very busy walking, running and climbing!

BackforGood Fri 03-Nov-17 22:14:24

Sorry Savannah I should have linked to the Talking Point Page blush
It lets you know what a 'typically developing' child will start to do within a certain age range, and links to how you can access advice.

Savannah13nbump Fri 03-Nov-17 22:38:13

Thank you very much, I did see this page but I get so confused as they say by 18 months they should do x y and z but my lo is only 15minths and 3 months is a long time for babies, my older child has selective mutism and I'm working so hard helping her but understand all types of conditions the earlier u spot it the better, quite frustrating with waiting times as if he does have a severe delay with 18 weeks till the initial assessment when I wat to be helping him now, the unknown is so stressful, I really appreiciate all your help

BackforGood Fri 03-Nov-17 23:01:45

That's why they let you make an appointment for a phone consultation with a therapist. smile

The reason they will only put a "between 12 and 18months" guide is because all children develop differently of course, and they don't want people getting upset if their child hasn't achieved X or Y at 14m or 15m or 16m etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now