Talk

Advanced search

21 month old on spectrum?

(5 Posts)
harvester77 Thu 02-Nov-17 07:50:44

My other half mentioned last night that out son reminds him of his autistic cousin. He thinks out son is on the spectrum! My son doesn't say a word but he does babble a lot but makes no sense. he doesn't even say mummy or daddy, he doesn't have a nickname for my daughter or anyone like my daughter did at his age. She was having full blown conversations in 2 languages! My son constantly grabs his ear and guys it in same place no he hasn't got an infection. He hits himself when he is upset anytime. He jumps up and down same puddle etc and If we are at a park he is more interested in going backwards and forwards on draincovers. When we change his nappy he has now got worse it needs two of us to do it as on our own especially a dirty nappy he lashes out uncontrollably. I need to give him a bottle to soothe him and sometimes that doesn't work. He does babble though and we send him to nursery 3 hours a week and have been told that they don't worry about speech until he is in the 2 year old section. He does point to things etc and makes eye contact. He interacts with other kids fine for now so we havent noticed anything there. He does throw some terrible tantrums but that's his age. He is very fussy with food and won't eat certain textures or colours but we do try and this may be a phase. Anyone have advice or is my other half right?

FatRedCrayon Thu 02-Nov-17 09:27:18

I have little experience with autism but DS didn't say a word until he was nearly two, and he wasn't much of a babbler either. He's nearly 3 and is now talking in full (basic) sentences. He also had a thing for drain covers, and drains in general. He's mostly over that now but will still spot the only puddle on a dry day and make a beeline for it!

harvester77 Thu 02-Nov-17 09:38:32

Thank you. I honestly think he is just a toddler being a toddler. I don't know why my other half things that? He says our son reminds him of his cousin. Yes the talking did worry me and the way he lashes out when changing him but he has always disliked happy changing time. I just wanted to ask advice. Thanks for your reply.

Imaginosity Thu 02-Nov-17 14:21:07

Have a look at this
www.m-chat.org/mchat.php

Its hard to tell at such a young age but even if it did turn out to be autism its not the end of the world. I have an 8 year old with autism. He's doing very well at school and is very happy.

harvester77 Thu 02-Nov-17 16:01:28

Thank you. I know it's not the end if the world. All kids are a blessing and I agree with you. I actually don't mind as my love will never change. I hope it didn't come across that would be because certainly wouldn'tm thanks x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now