Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Aspergers/autism in 6 month old?

(7 Posts)
Sunnyx Wed 01-Nov-17 16:37:41

I have a 6 month old and I guess I’m worried he may have aspergers or something. It runs in the family. Its probably nothing but lots of people comment on how a chilled out, pleasant and mellow baby he is.

He does:
Give eye contact but not really at the person who’s holding him. He just looks around. So nosey. He gives eye contact when I change him on the mat or are in front of him.

He rarely cries but does winge sometimes when he’s not happy with being somewhere/something.

He does smile (initiate and responsive) and laugh.

But generally, he is very chilled out.

I’ve read that kids on the spectrum we’re generally chilled out easy babies. So that’s what’s got me worried.

Worldsworstcook Wed 01-Nov-17 20:37:03

At this point in his young life I would just be grateful that he's so chilled out and mellow! Lots of young babies are very happy and you are obviously doing a great job if he's not needing to cry and complain at his standards of care. If you are concerned and he's over 1.5 yo seek an opinion then but tbh for now take a leaf from his book, chill out and relax! You don't get this time back smile

JKCR2017 Wed 01-Nov-17 20:57:32

He is still very young so try not to worry. He sounds okay to me. I have a six year old with asd and yes he was a chilled out baby but my DD was a chilled baby and she doesn't not have autism - she is not a very bossy two year old! Babies have different personalities just like adults do! 😊

TheSconeOfStone Wed 01-Nov-17 21:00:43

My DD was diagnosed with autism aged 8. She was very far from being a chilled out baby. She had reflux, refused to sleep (sensory processing disorder we now know) and was generally full of rage until she was weaned and mobile. Delightful from 6 months to 3 years old.

Hairq Thu 02-Nov-17 06:03:26

Yes, they are often chilled out as babies, but some babies are just like that - just enjoy him at the moment and see how he develops. He's probably just an easy baby.

gingerh4ir Thu 02-Nov-17 06:38:54

at 6 months it's far too early to worry but I am honest, I had concerns about DD (DX of autism at 3 back then).

however, she was not a chilled out baby at all. screaming and crying non stop, not sleeping, I could not out her down but her her in the sling all the time. Sounds nothing like your DS

ducktale Thu 02-Nov-17 07:25:31

He sounds like my 5m old! I’m not worried I’m just enjoying it after his high maintenance sister grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now