Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Almost 4 year old terrified of men

(4 Posts)
Jessie1980 Wed 25-Oct-17 19:19:31

Has anyone had this issue before?

DD has developed a fear of men she doesn't know or doesn't know well. This can be men she occasionally sees or strangers. For instance at my parents (Df and stepmum) step sis boyfriend came in whilst they were looking after her and she was hysterical. The childminder had her teenage grandson staying and she was hysterical when she arrived and found out he was there.
She now telling me she doesn't like going to childminder and that it's because other kids snatch things.from.her (an excuse) then she made comment about CM GS being there and staying in his room.

I don't know how to approach this, she isnt so bad when I am there, but if I am not there she gets herself in such a state that no one can calm her.down or reassure her.

Any help is welcomed!!

Jessie1980 Sun 29-Oct-17 15:43:30

Anyone?

Her father has never been great with her, and I've only recently realised she has actually been a victim of parental rejection and emotional rejection / neglect.

She is fine with grandfather's and uncles she knows well.

Could it be a result of her relationship with her dad?

laura6032 Tue 31-Oct-17 21:12:41

Hi, my ds when about 3, developed a fear of strangers, he couldn't walk past people, he'd have to walk behind me or he'd try hit out, was always asking if they were going to his house. It was really odd, and seemed more aimed at women than men. It passed after a few months, I would say to him, reassure him, there's a person walking towards us you ok, want to walk behind me? I don't now if this worked or if it was just time.
It us a completely rational fear though, just try support her, pre warn if there may be a strange man where your going, maybe if there is someone you trust, a brother, or male friend to spend time with her. Lx

Obie4 Thu 02-Nov-17 09:11:28

My nearly 3 year old is like this with men. My poor dad gets quite upset. She won't go near him and takes to hiding as she is scared. She doesn't see him all too often, so I wonder if it's just a kid thing with strangers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now