Talk

Advanced search

What activities do you do with your 6 month old?

(7 Posts)
slapmyarseandcallmemary Mon 23-Oct-17 15:02:56

Hi,

I have a 6 & a half month old baby. We go to a musical sensory class once a week and a rhyme time thing at the library once a week (half an hour). Can I ask what activities you do at home with your 6 month old? I play with him, read to him, he has a walker which he loves and we listen to music. I feel like I should be doing more to entertain him, but not sure what. I don’t have any mummy friends, so not sure what anyone else does to entertain their wee ones. Any help would be appreciated!! Thank you 😊

Nektaria Mon 23-Oct-17 16:24:06

Hi,
I also have a 6 month old and struggle to think of new things to do with him and stimulate him. Like you, we read, sing songs, play in his baby gym and go for lots of walks but I feel like it's just the same things over and over again. He also gets bored easily so have to chop and change a lot!
No advice but watching this thread and hope someone comes along with some ideas for playing at home!

slapmyarseandcallmemary Mon 23-Oct-17 19:08:35

Aw, I feel the same!! Hopefully someone will come along and give us ideas!!

DinoMania Tue 24-Oct-17 07:40:18

Hi,

I've a 4 month (so slightly younger) but thought I'd share things I get up to.

We go to art galleys and museums as although he's a bit young to really appreciate it they are free! Plus gives him lots of new things to look at.

We also go for walks just round the block, I talk to him the whole time and point out the things we see in the way.

If we are staying in for the day, I try to leave him for some of his own play time for some of the day but, after doing the stuff you've mentioned doing, I also take him into different rooms to play in to change up the scenery and if I'm making lunch or doing tasks I take him with me and explain what I'm doing. He strangely likes me washing up haha. Xx

slapmyarseandcallmemary Tue 24-Oct-17 07:58:53

Hey, thanks for your reply! Art galleries sound good, my wee boy loves looking at colours and pictures, so that’s a great idea, thanks 😊 mine loves the washing machine lol!!

Ricekrispie22 Tue 24-Oct-17 08:42:08

Really long baths with lots of foamy bubbles and bath toys.
Sandpit
Bouncing a balloon around and on their head! This used to send my DS into fits of laughter.
Blowing on their arm/legs/feet/tummy etc... with hairdryer.
Bashing upturned saucepans and paint tins with a wooden spoon. This was great because I could turn my back on them to do a job knowing that they were still alright if the banging and crashing continued!
You can also use the sandpit or sandpit lid for messy play with shaving foam.
Once I had shown my DS how to rip paper, there was no stopping him. He loved the sound it made and I'd give him an old magazine and he'd happily tear it to shreds.
I didn't have such a problem entertaining DD because she always had her older brother pestering her! She was sometimes a canvas for his artwork, which she enjoyed more than I did!

buckyou Tue 24-Oct-17 09:05:30

I've got an 8 month old and he mainly just tags along with his older sister! So we go to the park, soft play, adventure farm, swimming, play dates, out for lunch etc.

At home I try and get him to entertain himself if possible. He's only just started to properly 'play' with things though. At the moment he likes taking things out of containers. I put some cheerios in a box the other day and it kept him entertained for ages! (Although he ate a lot!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now