Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Year 5. Left too late to move???

(4 Posts)
Busymummy50 Mon 23-Oct-17 11:52:27

My eldest is in year 5. We've been confused about where to move to for some time. Now deciding between edge of London or countryside. So looking at 2 areas now and waiting to see which houses come up.

The issue now is, being in year 5 and not even found a place yet, realistically by the time we do find one (If we do), we then need to wait for a place as most schools are over subscribed and we have to apply for secondary school by end of october! Which doesn't give us much time to make!!!

Has anyone moved with kids going into year 6 and has this caused issues in terms of making friendships? Younger children are easier at making friends I find. Even now in year 5 I have started to notice friction or children being mean amongst the kids my son has known since reception and close friends with so I'm worried what it will be like for him making friends in year 6! Kids tend to chat more and play less as they get older. My son doesn't find it very easy to make friends either.

Moving for better quality of life and better secondary schools but now wondering if better to stay, will he be happier.

Would live to hear other's experiences about moving in year 5 or 6 please!

bluees Tue 24-Oct-17 13:19:55

Sorry cannot give much advice but wishing you very good luck.

Ricekrispie22 Tue 24-Oct-17 13:28:22

I'm a teacher and most children just fit in. I think it will be too late for him to make close friends but at this age social groups are still very fluid so I punt he'll never be excluded. I think it would be ok to move him if he can still keep in regular contact with his old friends and if he's quite thick-skinned. It's only for a year and the move to secondary will put everyone on a level playing field again.

BarbarianMum Tue 24-Oct-17 13:54:18

I'd say that, if you want to move, you need to do it before Oct 2018 when your secondary school applications need to be in. You also need to decide (now) about the 11 plus if you are planning to, or might, move into a grammer school area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now