Talk

Advanced search

4 year old behaviour awful since starting reception

(4 Posts)
dream75 Sun 22-Oct-17 18:20:34

4 year old DD started school in September and since then has been hitting at school and dance class. Has constant meltdowns at home for no reason and has started wetting the bed. DD was in full time nursery before starting school. Have asked DD what's wrong but there doesn't seem to be any reason for her behaviour. This is causing a lot of stress and an unhappy atmosphere in the home. Any advise would be appreciated.

starpatch Wed 25-Oct-17 19:31:44

I would wonder if school is too pressured/formal. My DS who is in year 1 is going through a lot of stress because school is too formal (he is able to tell me about it). Sorry you are going through this.

TheWorldIsMyCakePop Wed 25-Oct-17 20:25:27

We had the same last year with summer born DS (not hitting and actually perfect behaviour at school but horrible melt downs after)

I'm sorry to say that it continued from October to March! and this year has had it's moments too.

I think exhaustion is a big thing, so trying to get enough sleep, having good meals to ensure blood sugars don't drop...and quite quiet evenings.

MiaowTheCat Thu 26-Oct-17 07:23:48

DD1 went through this last year and it's really fairly common. DD2's in reception at the moment and isn't yet going through it as badly but she is bloody knackered - but her reception teacher warned all the new parents that it can happen but you'll get them back honest.

In the end it didn't get better with DD1 and we moved her school - but she was having lots of problems socially in the one she was at that just got worse as the year went on... she's absolutely a different child now she's in Y1 at a different school (same one her sister's at) - but she's still got a foul temper on her!

Even DD2 who has the sweetest natured personality you'd ever hope to see in a child was absolutely knackered and had regressed somewhat to being irrational and over emotional like a toddler by half term because of tiredness though (you know - the level where a snapped banana is the end of the world and an absolute personal conspiracy to ruin your entire life).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now