Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Christmas bike for 2.5 year old

(6 Posts)
Supergran58 Sun 22-Oct-17 13:39:59

Dgs has had a balance bike since his 2nd birthday in July. He's learnt to balance and can go at a great speed on it. He's also learnt to pedal on the trikes at nursery. He loves watching big kids on their bikes and was slightly disappointed when he noticed his birthday balance bike didn't have pedals. Hes recently been asking for a bike with pedals. So I've decided to get him one for Christmas. Easier said than done apparently. I've just had a search and discovered that bikes to fit him are either balance bikes or ones with stabilisers. I've also read that cheaper ones are very heavy and hard for little ones to pedal. I know there are plenty of 2 -3 year old riding bikes. Could anyone shed any light on where to find a suitable one. Thanks

FurryGiraffe Sun 22-Oct-17 15:14:32

I’m not sure there are lots of 2-3 year olds on proper pedal bikes without stabilisers actually. Round here they all use stabilisers past the balance bike stage which totally defeats the point of the balance bike. How tall is your DGS? When we were looking for DS1’s fourth birthday, we struggled because he’s very short in the leg and the assumption seems to be 3-4 for a pedal bike.

In the end we got him a Frog bike in their smallest pedal bike size. Frogs are lovely and light for kids to balance/steer. Isla bikes are also great. Both are pretty pricey, though they have good secondhand value. I think Frog also will do trade in when you need a bigger size. Not sure about Isla.

Supergran58 Sun 22-Oct-17 16:05:46

He's average height - 90cm. Just looked at the frog website. They look amazing but he's probably still too little. I'll measure his inside when he gets home.

medicalmumof4 Sun 22-Oct-17 16:11:47

Isla bikes are what you're after.

My 3 boys have all been riding without stabilisers from before they were 3yrs old.

We went from their balance bike to the cnoc. Brilliant bikes - can't recommend them enough.

Hohofortherobbers Sun 22-Oct-17 18:26:05

My ds age 3 is on a dawes blowfish which is fairly light, not as light as my dd's frog though. If you can't get a small enough from look at the blowfish. Hoy bikes were recommended to us as well.

yeeyeelovesraaraa Wed 25-Oct-17 16:36:43

Agree Islabikes are what you want. Their cnoc 14 small or large will be what you need ( depending on his height & leg length). They are expensive but so so worth it. Resale value is good too. Bikes from toy shops etc will be far too heavy for him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now