Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

2yo and his speech

(6 Posts)
everyonehasissues Fri 20-Oct-17 00:16:56

My son is 2 will be 3 in July he can say around 15 words give or take but he cannot say two word or more together it's always a one worded like mum or teddy or outside I've got his 27 months review coming up with the family nurse and I'm worried they are going to send him to speech therapy but then I have heard boys are pretty slow at talking sometimes....

MrsOverTheRoad Fri 20-Oct-17 04:31:09

You shouldn't worry about speech therapy. It's there to help. If he needs help, he'll probably be put on a waiting list anyway...so the sooner his name goes down the better...by the time he comes up on the list, he may not even need it!

"most" 2 year olds put 2 words together..but that's not all. Some are just a bit slower at it than others.

By 30 months, you'd expect him to be putting 3 words together to make short sentences.

So when his review comes up, do ask about his speech...then if he needs help (lots of kids do) you'll be on the right track.

everyonehasissues Fri 20-Oct-17 12:10:27

Thank you very much he really tried but it comes out like a big noise basically lol. He has been so quick at doing everything else suppose he can't be good at everything it will come along slowly but surely

MrsOverTheRoad Fri 20-Oct-17 12:25:22

That's right...some are good physically...one of mine couldn't jump for ages! Others are good verbally, some are very sociable...some learn to read fast whilst others don't.

Keep talking and singing to him, read to him every day. Tell him about things as you walk along, say rhymes. If he answers you then model back..like this

DS: Dog!

You: yes, it's a dog!

DS Bark!

You: Yes, the dog is barking! Woof woof!

Apologies if you are already doing all the above but it doesn't come naturally to all parents...some people don't do it and it can help them.x

MrsOverTheRoad Fri 20-Oct-17 12:27:10

Oh! And have his hearing tested. Even if it was fine at birth. Sometimes they get a thing called glue ear or their hearing changes...has he ever had ear infections?

everyonehasissues Fri 20-Oct-17 15:14:39

Thank you for your advice yeah I do do all of what you've said but maybe I will start doing it a bit more than what I am and see if this helps, yeah I've heard of that glue ear his dad had it when he was a baby so yeah maybe it might be worth while going and getting it checked won't do any harm.

I will just keep trying I'll bring it up at his 27 month review and see what she would recommend doing smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now