Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

23 months not stringing words

(9 Posts)
billyjean85 Wed 18-Oct-17 15:32:54

Hi all,

My 23 mo DD has about 60 words but doesn’t make sentences.
She can say “what’s that” “all done” or “I don’t want”… but as I understand these don’t count since they are meant at single words by toddlers.
Expected combinations including 2 different ideas/concepts “ball blue”, “daddy gone”, “more bananas” are still missing.
She has a decent understanding of what we say and will respond to some commands but she can’t answer “complex” questions appropriately “what’s your name”, “what are you doing”…
Should I be concerned ?

cedoren Wed 18-Oct-17 22:47:22

No

billyjean85 Wed 18-Oct-17 23:03:46

@Cedoren: would you mind elaborating ?

FurryGiraffe Thu 19-Oct-17 06:39:08

DS1 has 25 words at 2. He didn’t join words. By 2 years 4 months he spoke in full sentences. I know they are ‘expected’ to join at two but I honestly wouldn’t worry about that too much. Language development varies hugely.

As to the bit about complex questions - does she have the words to do this? I remember nursery being concerned that DS1 wouldn’t say sorry about something once. While he knew the word, he couldn’t say it- so didn’t!

billyjean85 Thu 19-Oct-17 17:44:29

She knows her name and says it sometime but only to ask for my phone. I have a video recorded on it with her cousins singing her name. So when she wants me to play it she says her name.
But when I ask her what's her name, she doesn't seem to understand sad

chipswithchips Thu 19-Oct-17 21:14:04

My dd is 2 next month and has only just started saying her own name in the past month or so. Previously we would ask her name and she’d say “mummy”! Now she does know it she uses it ALL the time in the 3rd person and seems to have coincided with much more “mine mine” behaviour hmm.

Basically I think your dd sounds completely normal and things can change so quickly!

“What are you doing?” Is quite a vague question and like pp said, she may just not have the words to respond yet.

FurryGiraffe Thu 19-Oct-17 21:32:18

I don’t think DS1 said his name until 2.5 at least.

Have you looked at the Talking Point website- good guidance on what to expect. Understanding is the most important thing at this age- I’d really try not to worry.

BewareOfTheToddler Thu 19-Oct-17 22:27:51

Mine was two last month and he doesn't say his own name. He only joins words if the first is "big" - "BIG poo!" "Big Choo Choo [train]", etc. He doesn't seem out of step with his peers.

CobsAhoy Thu 19-Oct-17 23:18:10

DD started joining words at about 24/25 months, and only started saying her name around the same time, I think that's still within normal developmental parameters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now