Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

5 yr olds terrible behaviour impacting negatively on entire family

(5 Posts)
Sarmham Tue 17-Oct-17 20:34:50

I love my son with all my heart. I have tried hard to raise him as best I can thus far. I haven’t done a very good job, evidenced by his horrendous behaviour-destructive, violent, rude, intimidating. I have booked a gp appointment with the intention of getting a referral to a child psychologist. It’s not for another 4 weeks however and I need some help to get me through till then and afterwards, as I’m not expecting a miracle end to all this.
I’m not looking for sympathy, I’m looking for practical ways of dealing with his behaviour. I have tried time out, naughty step, reward charts, completely ignoring bad behaviour and praising the hell out of good behaviour. Nothing has worked. I am being bullied by my 5 yr old and I need help. I’ve run out of ideas for what to do when
- he hits/scratches me/his sibling/his dad (this happens very often)
- he completely ignores me and my requests
- he is too rough/destructive (friends/toys/house)
- he is rude (name calling, shouting etc)

He is a big boy for his age. I cannot physically restrain him and when he hits it really hurts.

Please help-all suggestions welcome.

Sarmham Wed 18-Oct-17 22:42:32

Can anyone share any tips/advice at all?

Donhill Thu 19-Oct-17 05:29:32

No advice really, but interested in what responses you receive as my ds is like this too. I have tried reading anger management books to try and talk to him (when he was calm) about things he could do when he is so angry instead of hitting me. It did help make him a bit more aware I think. Really hope things improve for you.

MiaowTheCat Fri 20-Oct-17 20:52:58

From speaking to other people I think 5 is just a really really shit age generally for lots of people. My 5 year old DD can be an absolute sod when she puts her mind to it - again we get the rudeness, the hitting (although you can see her increasingly stop herself when she's just about to do that - she has an awful temper and she struggles with it), the ignoring me (I've been known to announce the only person in the house who does what I ask some days is fucking Alexa!)... and pretty much everyone with kids the same age says the same things!

laura6032 Sat 21-Oct-17 14:23:35

Have to tried taking toys away?? Or no tv or screen time.
Either take them all or tell him I'll take one every time you hit, I'm sure there would be major backlash but maybe once he sees all his toys dwindling away he might think twice.
Not sure I agree, but I also read an article written by a child psychiatrist who said to pinch the child every time they hit/bite/scratch as they soon learn. Never tried it myself.
Hope it gets better xc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now