Talk

Advanced search

Really struggling with my 2 year old

(5 Posts)
Babysafarijungle Mon 16-Oct-17 16:37:19

I’m really really struggling with my almost 2.5 year old. He’s just so unhappy. For the record I’ve got two children and had absolutely no problems with my first.

He’s been miserable since the day he was born and I feel like I’ve had all the energy sucked out of me.

He barely slept night or day for the first year of his life, no matter what I did even resorting to cc, he did not sleep, you could walk for miles in the pram and he wouldn’t sleep, he cried almost constantly whether he was being held or not. It’s just never got better.

Now he’s 2 his tantrums are epic. He refuses to sit in his pushchair and can climb out so it’s dangerous. I was using reins everywhere but now he’s refusing to walk anywhere and sits on the floor. Shopping is impossible he won’t sit in a trolley, pushchair or walk, I’ve tried everything. I think I’m known in my local supermarket now.

Every single thing I do is wrong, he won’t have a nappy change and kicks me, screams, flings himself around. Huge tantrums over what shoes he wears, if I try to put him in shoes he wants welly boots, if I put him in boots he wants sandals (in the rain). He wants his shoes off, then he wants them on, resulting in screaming.

Tantrums because I won’t let him climb a n the table, tantrums because I won’t let him throw all his toys down the stairs, tantrums because he doesn’t want to wash his hands, tantrums because he doesn’t want to brush his teeth.

I can’t think of any more right now but it’s pretty much tantrums from the second he wakes up to when he falls asleep at night. Long, loud, high pitched screaming tantrums.

To top it off we’ve let him have a dummy because it was the only thing that seemed to calm him down, now his speech is delayed and trying to wean him off the dummy is proving difficult at times.

thethoughtfox Mon 16-Oct-17 17:20:08

Maybe he has some ASD or sensory issues you don't know about yet. Could you try speaking to the GP?

starpatch Tue 17-Oct-17 21:12:47

Agree it could be sensory issues. Or you could try cranial osteopathy (have to pay privately). Poor you must be exhausting.

CPtart Tue 17-Oct-17 21:58:41

My friends DS was very much like this, never slept either. He was diagnosed with ASD. Could you speak to your HV or GP? It sounds difficult for you, and also possibly more than just the terrible twos.

thecanaries Wed 18-Oct-17 22:16:18

Just a hug for you
Really. My DS can be really hard
Work but that sounds really tough. I would go to your GP To get some extra Support and answers (if there are any) xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now